General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electrical issue ideas

Old 03-18-2011, 04:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrical issue ideas

Hi, 2005 1000rr here. i know they have elec. issues but...

Fall 2010:
has punch verifying stator replacement under warrenty
Bike would die while me driving it, could keep it alive at 5000 rpms +
resistance check on r/r passed
stator ohm test passed
did not do stator voltage
bought a new battery, just because

Spring 2011:
trying to sell this bike as i have to many
thought it was a short in license platae light so i disconnected light to rule it out.
called honda for ideas, talked to a nice guy called tim.
Tim said a resistance check does not rule out the r/r, just cause it passed resistance doesnt mean it's not bad.
Tim said try checking voltage on the stator. should be like 16v or something.
I get no voltage coming from my stator, still will pass the ohm test at .5 for each terminal.

when bike is idling volt on battery at 11.5

IDEAS?
i kno another thread... but id rather do this myself than take it to the shop.
And im not the smartest when it comes to this stuff, but i can read a service manual and follow directions.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:54 PM

It sounds like the stator is toasted if your not getting any voltage. In adddition to resistance check though, you need to also check each pin for continuity to ground. if there is, it means the stator has shorted out internally and is grounded. that would require replacing the stator.

When did they replace the stator? I think there is an extended warranty on the ones that were replaced. Im not sure though. It may have expired by now.

If the rectifier was bad, it would more than likely have too much voltage, not too little, so I think your on the right path with the stator. At idle, your bike should be putting out about 14v at the battery. I think the output is somewhere around 15-15.5 v at 5,000 rpms with your high beam on.

Last edited by justasquid; 03-18-2011 at 06:57 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:49 AM

thanks for the reply.

as of now i agree with the stator. It was replaced in '09 by the second owner. after looking back on the sale, i think he knew the whole time/ lied about it not having issues. Not blaming him, it's my own damn fault for getting it.

anyways, Im dropping it off at honda tomorrow after i double check everything in the morning. I spent a half hour on the phone with a mechanic and relayed info from live multimeter tests to him. "supposedly" even tho it was replaced once, it is still a recalled part and they are willing to work with me.

I have multiple honda machines, if they uphold the reliability ive usually had with customer service...i prolly wont ever buy a different bike ha

I just hope to god they dont have to order parts from Japan, cause i dont think they could get it right now. :/