General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECU Re-program after install of Aftermarket Exhaust?

Old 11-27-2013, 11:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU Re-program after install of Aftermarket Exhaust?

So I have a question...

Through discussion with a couple friends that ride a couple different variations of bikes, from Harleys to Gold Wings, have all mentioned the need to get my ECU re-programed to accommodate the increase in air flow through my motor (the System) as a whole. I recently upgraded my 2012 CBR600RR from the stock exhaust to a TOCE-Performance T-Slash Exhaust. I know that the motor is breathing way better and wanted to know people thoughts on the topic. I have tried to research the question but I have not been able to find an answer on my own.

Do I need to Re-program my ECU to accommodate for the increase in air flow through the motor by the addition of an aftermarket slip on exhaust?

Old 11-27-2013, 01:37 PM
Sept 2014 ROTM

Originally Posted by 20CBR12BLK
So I have a question...

Through discussion with a couple friends that ride a couple different variations of bikes, from Harleys to Gold Wings, have all mentioned the need to get my ECU re-programed to accommodate the increase in air flow through my motor (the System) as a whole. I recently upgraded my 2012 CBR600RR from the stock exhaust to a TOCE-Performance T-Slash Exhaust. I know that the motor is breathing way better and wanted to know people thoughts on the topic. I have tried to research the question but I have not been able to find an answer on my own.

Do I need to Re-program my ECU to accommodate for the increase in air flow through the motor by the addition of an aftermarket slip on exhaust?
For best drivebility i would remap the ecu. You could allso gain few hp whit the correct fueling. Easiest way would be get so called "piggy back unit" to change the fuel map. To most common and known of these units are dynojet powercommander. Allso you should check out altering the ignition map. I have some feeling i have read that in the SC-59 Fireblade there is something to gain allso in the ignition map which normally isn't the case whit bikes whit stock motor. The have different maps that you can download from dynojets site but for best result i would get the bike dynoed and custom map made for it.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:21 PM
Registered Users

From what research I have done the reflash does not alter fuel it just removes factory restrictions.It can also raise rev limits and top speed restrictions. Brocks offers ecu reflash on some bikes you can go to his site and see if your bike is listed.Even with the reflash a fuel controller is recommended for best results.

Old 11-28-2013, 10:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's been my thought that just a slip-on generally doesn't do much more than change the sound of the bike. It alone isn't significant enough to warrant a power commander or any other fuel management solution. You might attain a 1-2 hp gain with a slip on + PC + dyno tune.

Now if you also changed the air filter from OEM, then you might want to look into fuel management. But that's just my opinion.

Old 11-29-2013, 03:25 PM
Sept 2014 ROTM

I didn't realize it was just a muffler. I thought it was full exhaust. Even whit performance airfilter/modified airbox i wouldn't boughter to get PC if the throttle response would be ok and the bike was as good to ride as before the changes. It's only a way to correct the fueling when it goes wrong when changes are made. And many bikes come from the factory whitout optimal fueling values because of emissions.