CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

Aftermarket Fairings Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 01:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Fairings Install

Hello All,

I had the misfortune of taking a small spill this past summer on my bicycle. I managed to smash the left side mirror as well as crack the upper fairing and scratch the crap out of the left side fairing and upper. I also scratched up the alternator cover pretty badly (not to mention myself). So this all happened the day before I was leaving to go on vacation and propose to my girlfriend(fiancee now). Needless to say we are trying to save for a wedding now and I had to figure out how the heck I was going to get my bike back to looking respectable.

Enter the Aftermarket fairings from Hong Kong on ebay. I know I know...."but Dirt, haven't you heard all the horror stories?" To answer that question, yes I have read a many. However, with that said it appears there are very mixed reviews. I spent the better part of many months watching these plastics on ebay as well as watching the seller feedback for all sellers. This however showed me that there are mixed reviews. I then took to scouring the internet for in depth analysis on these plastics. And this led me to more mixed reviews.

It seems that there were quite a few problems with these items from 2007 to 2008, however the reviews seem much more positive as of late. This combined with the attractive price made me decide to take the chance, although pretty reluctantly( I tend to be very cheap, just ask my fiancee).

Anywho I hope to share my experience with you so that when someone else is contemplating making the move they will have more info to aide them in making the decision.

As of right now the plastics have been ordered. The turnaround is nearly a month from most of the reviews I have read. I will keep you posted as to how long mine takes.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:42 AM

I have ordered a set for my old bike before and although it didnt fit like factory it did the job. Im about to do the same thing to my 954. I can deal with having to stretch and pull, I have heard more good reviews than bad. A few people i rode with replaced theirs with the hong kong kits with no issues.....post pics asap

Old 02-27-2011, 11:39 AM

Thanks for the info TXS....that is reassuring to know that it worked out for you and others. I am curious which seller you used? Also did you go with a custom design or a stock paint job? I have attached photos of the bike before the crash, also before the wheel tape I put on that looks pretty crappy.

I hope to add a few photos of the bike now along with the ruined plastics within the week.

Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket Fairings Install-bicycle-1.jpg   Aftermarket Fairings Install-bicycle-2.jpg   Aftermarket Fairings Install-bicycle-3.jpg   Aftermarket Fairings Install-bicycle-4.jpg   Aftermarket Fairings Install-bicycle-5.jpg  

Old 02-27-2011, 07:54 PM

The ones I got were white and had them painted a maroon on my old cbr. The next set im ordering will be a stock paint scheme but colors that didnt come from the factory. Im still trying to figure out which color. That is holding me up cause that will determine the color of my swingarm, rear sets, passenger pegs, and a few other items. If i dont get it right this time (havent been satisfied with the other things ive done) then i will sell the bike.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:58 PM

As far as the wheel tape, ive applied that to a buddies orange 954 and its alright. It looks good but pain to lay. I just dont have patience for small **** like that. If you a nice few days (3 to 4) to spare just remove the wheels and paint the lip yellow or whatever color you go with. I just did my frame and subframe after stripping the original black finish off and polishing it years ago. I posted some pictures in the 954 section. Its actually easier than i thought it would be. If you lived closer I probably wouldnt have a problem doing it for you....

Old 02-27-2011, 09:56 PM

Awesome looking bike, Dirt. I was looking for new fairings too, since mine are starting to get small stress cracks around the bolts. I saw the Hong Kong ones and I was reluctant to purchase, however I did put them in my watch list in case I changed my mind ever. I take it you bought the same black and yellow design? That is what I was looking at.

I am very glad you started this thread.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:36 AM

Yes Bumble(I like the name)....I bought the same black and yellow design. I was very reluctant as well, however I am excited to see how this will work out. I hope to take some pics of the bike now as well as the ruined plastics to give a better idea of what I am working with.

Also TXS....I have seen the powder coated rims on a number of photos of others' bikes and I must say I think they look pretty good. I am not sure if Yellow rims would look good but it is an alternative. The wheel tape was a major pain and looks ok from afar, however closer inspection shows I have the hand control of Muhammad Ali (now Ali, not young fast Ali)

Old 04-05-2011, 08:13 PM

Is that the new kit?
I downed my 29 a few times and well the left side just won't take another...ok maybe exagerated a bit on the abuse. the last time I eneded up off teh track and I broke some of teh pastic brace tabs. the dang front fairing is bouncing and driving me crazy. just want to hear how yours turns out and were you orderd it from if its all good.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:46 PM
Default Finally

OK, so I finally got around to posting the photos. It took a little over two weeks for me to get the plastics in. They came from USPS and the box appeared to have been through some battle, but thats to be expected for how far it had to travel. The plastics were all intact and undamaged. Here are pics of the packaging and the new windscreen and old windscreen.

Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket Fairings Install-box.jpg   Aftermarket Fairings Install-box2.jpg   Aftermarket Fairings Install-windscreen.jpg  
Old 04-23-2011, 08:59 PM
Default Next

I, along with a much more knowledgable motorcycle enthusiast, then began to take the bike apart. I took old pieces of cardboard and pushed the bolts through and labeled where they came from. This proved useful for bolts at the end because, although i had purchased a bolt kit from bikebolts.com, I still needed some because there were adustments that needed to be made.

So here are photos of the tear down.

You can see the left side is the damaged part, the alternator cover was pretty shredded. Also the bracket for the fairing on this side was bent slightly and needed to be "helped" to a better spot for the new fairings.

Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket Fairings Install-teardown.jpg   Aftermarket Fairings Install-td1.jpg   Aftermarket Fairings Install-td2.jpg   Aftermarket Fairings Install-td3.jpg   Aftermarket Fairings Install-td4.jpg  

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Fairings Install