CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

Aftermarket Fairings Install

Old 04-23-2011, 09:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you go with the same yellow/black color? Mine should be in this following week.....Parts will be back from powder coat this week too. Got to paint the tank to match and I should be up in 2 weeks.....

Old 04-23-2011, 09:21 PM
Default Continued

After all plastics were removed, we began with the rear fairing. I had some god awful rear blinkers and license plate light. Those were removed and a new integrated rear blinker was put in place. There were some major gaps and it did not fit well in the aftermarket rear fairing. Thus some adjusting took place for that to stay in....still worry about hitting a bump too quickly and it falling out of place but so far so good.

The closeup of the rear blinker shows the gap pretty well. Also there is a photo of the upper cowl stay that I had to purchase new as I had bent the old one pretty badly when I dipped it.

Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket Fairings Install-td6.jpg   Aftermarket Fairings Install-bu1.jpg   Aftermarket Fairings Install-bu2.jpg   Aftermarket Fairings Install-bu3.jpg   Aftermarket Fairings Install-bu4.jpg  

Old 04-23-2011, 10:09 PM
Default In the End

At the end this is what we ended up with. The left side was the side that took the most damage. The alternator cover was also replaced and took quite a bit of work, but in the end it looks much better than the chewed up old one.

There are some pretty good gaps between the upper fairing and the inner black pieces that cover the air intake. Some other spots have pretty good gaps, however I am satisfied with the end result.

After putting on the rear fairing, we moved to the upper fairing. This is where I started to get a little aggravated. The aftermarket fairings have tabs that are basically put on separate of the molding and are not the same set up as the OEM plastics. Therefore when we went to line up the aftermarket upper it was way off. Using a dremel we cut the tab in the center of the fairing and simply let the other tabs do the work. This is difficult for me to explain without pictures. But after that the upper fairing went on fairly easily.

The two side fairings were the easiest (after manipulating the brackets).

The inner black plastics that attach to the upper did not line up well and you can see the gap in the second photo. I took that photo purposely to highlight that.

The lower fairing was probably the most difficult. We put the lower together prior and then slid it under the bike to bolt on. This took some serious pulling and tugging. Also we had to dremel every hole wider to ensure the bolts were properly secured.

So after all was said and done, I was very happy with the end result. Time will tell how these will hold up for the season. However I would say I would recommend these to others.

Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket Fairings Install-bu5.jpg   Aftermarket Fairings Install-bu6.jpg   Aftermarket Fairings Install-bu7.jpg   Aftermarket Fairings Install-bu8.jpg  

Last edited by Dirt McGirt; 04-23-2011 at 10:23 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:04 PM

Looks like a new bike even though you went with the same colored plastic.....Now your tank looks old! Good look bro

Old 04-25-2011, 02:40 PM

Thank you for this write up an dupdating.
I'll be doing the same once I get the motor running again.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:21 PM
Default Boy Do i know it...

Just got myself a new set of fairings for my ZX-6R 2001, "mona". It was telling when the instruction for installation said "advisory: installation should be done by a motorcycle professional with experience in after market fairing parts". I thought great I can handle this...with just a little engineering efforts, drilling, craft knife tools..wiggling stretching and a friend to tell you great job don't stop yet...it took about 2 hours to finally get them all together.

Now I need to paint my tank to match..

Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket Fairings Install-photo.jpg  
Old 04-27-2011, 07:39 PM

Also, do not use the nut bolt washer package that comes with the kit..they suck

Old 05-20-2014, 06:24 PM

did your side fairings come with heat absorbers on the inside??

Old 05-21-2014, 11:15 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Julian_G
did your side fairings come with heat absorbers on the inside??
This thread is 3 years old, and the OP didn't even have the bike running when he last updated it. I don't think he'll get around to answering your Q.

However, I've bought ebay fairings - basically the same as these - and they do come with a roll of heat deflecting tape that you apply yourself.