General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone know what this is?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 01:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by karl10250
...... thats what she said.. sorry I debated this one for a while and decided to go for it
hahaha i didnt even thin of that lol dan should have saw one of those coming man

Old 05-03-2011, 01:51 AM

I googled disposable cleaning wand and searched under images and I think you guys are right. I doesn't look like it had bristles but more like it snapped into some sort of head with a cleaning pad on it (not like it makes me feel any better). I woke up at 1:30am and had to go shine the flashlight in my tank again bc this is really bothering me now. The head and pad must have completely dissolved and past thru possibly clogging jets and/or leaving some sort of deposits on the plugs and so on. Btw, I have been having some issues with the bike since I got it. It always cranks right up on a cold start, idles great, runs great while it's cool, but I get a bad sputter between 2000 and 3000 rpms that makes me have to slip the clutch a little but to get going. Assuming that the gas was strong enough to dissolve the head and pad in the first place, I'm hoping that it continued to break it down all the way and pass it thru the exhaust. The screen in the tank looked clean with no obstructions so maybe it just built up on the plugs a little. I think tomorrow if I don't get off to late, I'm gonna try to pull the plugs and see what I find.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:09 AM

good luck. let us know what you find. I would hate to see something so stupid cause something bad

Old 05-03-2011, 02:45 AM

a womans way to fix most things... Kotex!!! LMAO

Old 05-03-2011, 03:02 AM

That sputter is the start of things if you don't clean the system ,, put some injector / carb cleaner in the tank (follow the directions on the can / bottle ),,it may stave off any ill affects of a problem later if this plastic got into the jets / or injectors,,I can't remember if yours is injected ,,anyways , don't let it keep you up , lets just hope thats all is well and it didnt effect starting to clog the jets or fuel system , just run the cleaner,,see what happens. It may not have done anything at all ,,but a little prevention is worth it instead of not knowing,,right? It's a good thing you removed that handle out the tank before it really ruined your bike. I'm not trying to scare ya ,,and isnt my intention , just some friendly advice Bro. I have to admit though,,the person that sold you the bike was a bit on the "homer simpson" I.Q. brain chart with leaving a 10 inch plastic handle in the fuel tank for who knows how long ,,then selling it "forgetting" it was in there?! Wow.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Steel Horse Rider
That sputter is the start of things if you don't clean the system ,, put some injector / carb cleaner in the tank (follow the directions on the can / bottle ),,it may stave off any ill affects of a problem later if this plastic got into the jets / or injectors,,I can't remember if yours is injected ,,anyways , don't let it keep you up , lets just hope thats all is well and it didnt effect starting to clog the jets or fuel system , just run the cleaner,,see what happens. It may not have done anything at all ,,but a little prevention is worth it instead of not knowing,,right? It's a good thing you removed that handle out the tank before it really ruined your bike. I'm not trying to scare ya ,,and isnt my intention , just some friendly advice Bro. I have to admit though,,the person that sold you the bike was a bit on the "homer simpson" I.Q. brain chart with leaving a 10 inch plastic handle in the fuel tank for who knows how long ,,then selling it "forgetting" it was in there?! Wow.

I noticed the sputter before I learned about this thing in the tank so I bought some sea foam and added 3 caps of it to a full tank of gas and inspected the air filter and shined a light into carbs but everything looked extremely clean.
the temp never gets past the halfway mark and the sputter is consistent when the bike gets up to full operating temperature after about 10 - 15 min. I dread cleaning the carbs since I've never done it before. Hopefully, dumping the tank, blowing out the lines, and fresh plugs do the trick.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:19 PM

There ya go!! Great call Bro! Wait and see if the seafoam does the trick for ya , but a spark-plug change wouldnt hurt . Heck , it might be the cure to the sputtering.
When in doubt,,don't do it, with doing a carb cleaning unless you have someone experienced with you to do a hands on learning ,,and a shop manual ,, it's the best way to learn in my book. Don't attempt it (messing with the carbs)without knowing what your doing , let a pro do it if its bad enough to warrant it . Just to let you know,,shining a light into the carb horn / air-passage doesn't mean its clean..inside . Let the seafoam run its magic and see what improves,,or doesn't ,,change the plugs ,,your bike will love ya for it. Don't forget an synthetic oil change & filter too if ya didn't do that yet too ,,summers coming ,,do what the previous owner probably didn't do,,keep records ,,that bike will be worth more at re-sale time with that info . I'd want a bike with records over one without. Anyways , let us know how it goes Brother!

Old 05-03-2011, 03:32 PM

Also seafoam through the tank but if you seafoam through a vac line it works well too.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Steel Horse Rider
There ya go!! Great call Bro! Wait and see if the seafoam does the trick for ya , but a spark-plug change wouldnt hurt . Heck , it might be the cure to the sputtering.
When in doubt,,don't do it, with doing a carb cleaning unless you have someone experienced with you to do a hands on learning ,,and a shop manual ,, it's the best way to learn in my book. Don't attempt it (messing with the carbs)without knowing what your doing , let a pro do it if its bad enough to warrant it . Just to let you know,,shining a light into the carb horn / air-passage doesn't mean its clean..inside . Let the seafoam run its magic and see what improves,,or doesn't ,,change the plugs ,,your bike will love ya for it. Don't forget an synthetic oil change & filter too if ya didn't do that yet too ,,summers coming ,,do what the previous owner probably didn't do,,keep records ,,that bike will be worth more at re-sale time with that info . I'd want a bike with records over one without. Anyways , let us know how it goes Brother!
Ok, I pulled the coils off, blew out the spark plug holes with compressed air, then I pulled the plugs using my 1/4" ratchet and as soon as I put the slightest bit of effort on each plug they broke loose and came out with ease. I guess its good they came out easy and not ceased but the manual says 9 ft.lbs and it felt a lot less than that. I was surprised to see that everything appeared to be pretty clean on the outside. Can someone read the condition of the plugs and tell me what you think needs to be done based on how they look. Plug #1 was dry and plugs 2 thru 4 were wet with fuel. All four plugs were tapped at .85mm and seem to be in range. The only mods to my knowledge are a k&n filter and a M4 slip on. It's been 2 days since I started the bike.
Name:  4b8bc5fc.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  67.5 KB
Name:  e6c924ee.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  129.3 KB
Name:  fad102b6.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  132.2 KB

Old 05-03-2011, 10:33 PM

The plugs look normal , with #1 looking a bit lean . Looks like its time for a carb sync ,,synchronizing the carbs will tie up any loose ends on the tuneup side of it . And that would cause sputtering if they were out of sync. Replace the plugs with new one's,,they look worn out . (NGK)
Your doing a bang up job ,,it looks all professionally done too! Covering the carbs and reading up on the torque specs ,, you da man !
Very nice work . Gap the plugs,,put back together ,,in the right firing order , making sure that tank is cleaned out ,,put some hi test in it with a pinch of cleaner,,,and fire that bad boy up! As for the doing a carb sync ,,read up on thai's carb sync thread ,,its great info to have ,,or take your bike to a bike shop and get it done,,its about 40 bucks to get it done. other than that ,,I think your ready to ride bro.
Let us know how it went ,,Oh ,,nice pics of the work in progress too!