General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Cover Oil Leak Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 06:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Cover Oil Leak Question

My clutch cover seeps some oil. I cannot determine whether it's the Hondabond gasket sealant that has started weeping, or if it's the little rubber seal that houses the wiring from the pulse generator.

My question(s): Should I remove the clutch cover and attempt to repair the Hondabond gasket first? Or should I assume it's the wiring seal and order a new one first (which is about $40, I believe)?

Old 09-17-2009, 07:00 AM

I would suggest replacing the gasket. I don't think its suppose to have hondabond sealant, I believe there is an actual gasket there. So if someone just used the sealant, that could explain why its leaking. Also, recheck the torque on the bolts. Its possible they are out of spec and a simple retorque may fix the issue. Just make sure your within spec. The bolts they use are very easily stripped out or broken if you torque them too much.

I would doubt its the wiring grommet, they usually don't leak. Not to mention I wouldnt spend 40 bucks if I wasnt sure.

the best thing you can do is clean it really well, then take it for a 1 mile ride, pull over and see if you can tell where its coming from. if you still cant, ride shorter and shorter and distances until you know for sure where its coming from. You need to try and catch the oil just as it comes out otherwise the wind will just blow it all over the place, which Im sure you know is a problem in try to determine the source.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:23 AM

+1 on cleaning it up first to check it, no sense on spending money on something you don't need. You have to buy a whole pulse generator to get that seal that's why it's $40. It doesn't look like there is a pre-made seal for the clutch cover on your bike, someone else with same gen 1000RR confirm that?

Old 09-17-2009, 07:39 AM

"Grommet." That's the term I was looking for. And thank you for that info, justasquid!

Martini, you are correct about the gasket. There is no pre-made seal for the clutch cover. Both that and the stator cover have a Hondabond sealant.

Well, I noticed all this during my oil change the other day. The bike is still on stands with no oil in it. I'd hate to fill it up with fresh oil and then have to drain it right away. But I also want to get this fixed.

So as far as the repair goes, I'm going to first check the bolt tightness. If they're all good and tight, then I'm going to pull the cover and apply a fresh bead of Hondabond and hope for the best. Sound like a good plan?

Thanks, guys.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:42 AM

ooops.. sorry about that. You guys are correct and I was wrong, there is not a gasket there.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:19 AM

Is there a sealant that needs to be applied to the rubber grommet? Or is that "self-sealing?"

Old 09-18-2009, 07:40 AM

Manual says, only apply sealant to the mating surface of the cover.

Old 09-19-2009, 03:21 PM

Well, dudes, problem fixed as far as I can tell. Just a thin layer of Hondabond HT all around the cover, slapped it back on, no more leak. The manual did not indicate that any sealant be put around the grommet. So it is indeed self-sealing.

Now I must tend to a trickle of coolant from one of the hose clamps