General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 02 f4I is running worse and worse each day???

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 07:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 02 f4I is running worse and worse each day???

Seems like it started with some wierd sounds I've posted about. She almost sounds like the Jetsons car at times and has some vibrations at higher rpm's. Part of the issue was my chain but she is running worse every time I take her out. The last few days she hasn't had the burst she used to have and today it was noticibly sluggish. Now when I crack the throttle she starts bogging down a little. Any ideas what to look for???

Old 09-18-2009, 09:16 PM

It could be your plugs starting to bad. But the Fuel Pressure Regulator is fairly common thing on that model bike.

Hows your gas mileage? If its bad, as in lower than it should be, the FPR may be failing and allowing too much pressure.. or it could be the other way around as well. But the common issue is too much pressure. But your issue sounds more like fuel starvation. so it could be that.

Is the bike throwing any codes?

the other things could be plugged fuel filter or a faulty fuel pump. But I would check the FPR first as it is the most common.

Also, how many miles are on the bike? Is it due for a valve inspection? If the valves are loose or are too tight, you can have running issues as well.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by justasquid
It could be your plugs starting to bad. But the Fuel Pressure Regulator is fairly common thing on that model bike.

Hows your gas mileage? If its bad, as in lower than it should be, the FPR may be failing and allowing too much pressure.. or it could be the other way around as well. But the common issue is too much pressure. But your issue sounds more like fuel starvation. so it could be that.

Is the bike throwing any codes?

the other things could be plugged fuel filter or a faulty fuel pump. But I would check the FPR first as it is the most common.

Also, how many miles are on the bike? Is it due for a valve inspection? If the valves are loose or are too tight, you can have running issues as well.
It has 19,000 miles on the clock now and I really hope its not my valves $$$ wise. How do I get codes??? The f1 light isn't doing anything...

Old 09-19-2009, 10:11 AM
Official Welcome Crew Junkie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad Gas?
Does it start right up or stumble when starting?
Give us a little more detailed info

Old 09-19-2009, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by hondajunkie
Bad Gas?
Does it start right up or stumble when starting?
Give us a little more detailed info
OK here is some info...
I commute dailey and gas up every two days so I don't think thats it. I ran Seafoam 3 weeks ago and she ran friggen awesome for a few days. She starts perfect and runs great at low rpm. There are a few new sounds lately like engine ticking more then normal. Sometimes it will tick a little loud in neural and I give her a little gas and it stops. She also seems to whine at 7500 rpm - 8500rpm. This could be in my head but I think the exhaust sounds a little different lately too. Not a big difference but not as crisp as usual...
I changed my oil again last night with the Rotella (always use it) and there wasn't any changes in the symptoms... Very sluggish once I get to 7000 rpm when getting on it.
When in neutral she fine when I open the throttle to high rpm

Old 09-19-2009, 03:34 PM

at 19,000 miles, the valves really should get looked at, especially since your hearing noises. the tensioner could need adjustment or replacement, but that shouldn't affect how the bike runs, the valves certainly would. Also, since your exhaust has changed note, that may be attributed to the valves as well. But as you already know, when something is not right, you start hearing things that were always there, so it makes it hard to tell whats new or not.

If your light is not doing anything, you probably dont have any codes. But, if any codes were ever thrown, I believe a dealership can retrieve them.

Another thing is 19,000 is quite a few miles for a set of plugs. If they haven't been changed, they are probably due.

I would do the scheduled maintainance on the bike... such as plugs, chain (if it hasnt been), air filter, and have the valves inspected. Might as well have the CCT inspected as well.

I know this isnt what you want hear, but these are the things that should be checked at you current mileage.

Having said all of that. I would still inspect the FPR. the bike will run worse and worse as the FPR gets worse. But you will usually see a decrease in fuel economy as well.

First thing I would do is a plug change. then have the FPR checked, then the valves and so on. until the issue is resolved.

Old 09-19-2009, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by justasquid
at 19,000 miles, the valves really should get looked at, especially since your hearing noises. the tensioner could need adjustment or replacement, but that shouldn't affect how the bike runs, the valves certainly would. Also, since your exhaust has changed note, that may be attributed to the valves as well. But as you already know, when something is not right, you start hearing things that were always there, so it makes it hard to tell whats new or not.

If your light is not doing anything, you probably dont have any codes. But, if any codes were ever thrown, I believe a dealership can retrieve them.

Another thing is 19,000 is quite a few miles for a set of plugs. If they haven't been changed, they are probably due.

I would do the scheduled maintainance on the bike... such as plugs, chain (if it hasnt been), air filter, and have the valves inspected. Might as well have the CCT inspected as well.

I know this isnt what you want hear, but these are the things that should be checked at you current mileage.

Having said all of that. I would still inspect the FPR. the bike will run worse and worse as the FPR gets worse. But you will usually see a decrease in fuel economy as well.

First thing I would do is a plug change. then have the FPR checked, then the valves and so on. until the issue is resolved.
Well I went and bought some plugs today and luckily the dealership had 30%off so I spent $50... I failed to mention that I replaced the cct a few months ago. Thanks for the help. I'll post up after they're installed....