General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Cable Adjustment Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 05:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Cable Adjustment Question

Hello all.

I'll start off by saying "HI" as this if my first post.

I also want to take a moment to say thanks to all who posted information on how to diagnose problems with clutches slipping, and a big thanks to whoever put up the link for the service manual on a CBR 929RR.

My bike is a 2001 CBR 929RR that I bought used after crashing my 05 R1. For what it's worth, I'm liking this bike a ton, and have surpassed my original abilities more with this bike, than with any other bike in my 12 years of riding. (The crash, and the track helped.)

OK, on to my recent repair, and the questions that goes along with it.

I do wheelies. Not hanging out at the balance point yet, but my launches are consistant and technique is good. My bike is gear 1 down, 4 up. With that it shoud be a wheelie monster. In first gear it comes up no problem, but in second gear I can't get it to launch more than a few inches. After playing with all starting speeds, and different ranges of revs, I noticed that if I start them on the slow side in second gear that it feels when you do a wheelie with cold tires and they just slip. But in second gear, I would get that same feeling from the bike but the tire was sticking. I determined that the problem was probably coming from the clutch.

So after some research here, and asking a lot of local techs some questions, I took the clutch apart today, put a caliper to it, and found the following things:
The springs were all below spec. On only 2 of the clutch fibers did the color look remotely good, and that was only on 1 side of the plates. All of the metal plates were discolored and showed signs of friction wear spots. The friction plates were mostly dark brown to black, and were fairly polished.

So I forked out the cash, and bought all new friction plates, metal plates, and springs. I installed them in about 2 hours taking my time and double checking my work as I went along.

I noticed a big difference right off the bat. The first thing that I noticed, is that it was hard to get it back into neutral after shifting into first. Also, when I first put it into first, the bike started pulling on me. I tried to get the adjustment I needed from the clutch lever adjustment, but it wasn't having it. So loostened up the side fairing and made some adjustments with the clutch cable guide near the clutch cover. I was able to get it close to how it felt before, but this has now lead me to a techie question.

MY QUESTION:

How do you properly adjust the clutch, both at the cover guide, and at the clutch lever?

How I like my clutch to operate is this: I like it to have very litte play on the lever itself. I also like it when the clutch starts disengaging after only pulling it in about half an inch or so. I then like it to fully disengage after pulling it in by about another half an inch. Makes fast shifting easier, and feels more comfortable launching wheelies.

But what I worry about is this... How can I tell if my clutch is truely fully engaged? Is there some sort of test I can do to determine if the clutch is slightly disengaged?

Going down the highway tonight after making a few adjustments, I would accelerate and see how far I could pull in the clutch before the revs started climbing as the clutch is disengaging. I also would engine brake, and start pulling in the clutch to see how far I pull it in before the revs drop off. All I determined from this, is that the range of motion on my clutch lever from where the clutch is starting to disengage and where it's fully disengaged is very small. It feels OK at the moment, but it still leaves me wondering if there is any possibility that when I have the clutch lever all the way out, that there is the possibility that it is not truely engaged all the way once I let go of the clutch lever.

Anyone else ever wonder this? Or am I just over analysing the situation.

OK.

So, advice anyone? A