General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch cable adjustment help please need to ride tommorow

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 08:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch cable adjustment help please need to ride tommorow

Ok i have read the service manual and it says that i need between 10 and 20 mm clutch handle free play. i have been adjusting it up top at the handle and i finally got it to my liking and in specs. I was happy untill i decided to take one last check and i checked the free play at full lock turns. when i full lock turn lock the wheel to the left i still have free play but when i full lock turn the handles to the right i do not have any free play is this normal?

Old 07-03-2011, 08:52 PM

I would double check the routing of the cable to make sure its correct. My concern would be the amount of stress your putting on the cable and the components that are attached to it. If you don't have any free play, it may be pulling very hard on those components.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:14 PM

i will have to check that out in the mean time i think i got it to the upper limits of specs and it has freeplay the whole way it does change but the cable is not pulling when full lock right anymore i have a very minimal amount of space. i have checked the routing of the cable and it looks to be the corect routing procedure is this maybe something that all bikes do and i am just being way to **** and overthinkin this simple task?

Old 07-04-2011, 05:36 PM

some thing is wrong rule of thumb is a nickle for free play . and its just like the throttle cable when you turn the bars lock to lock there whould be no movement in the cables routing it wrong.. and also you can adj the cable down on the case . you can get to the point will you will mess the perch up and pull the threads out of it .

Old 07-04-2011, 08:13 PM

i think im gonna have to bring it to a shop to have them check it out for me. I took the Fender offtoday and after comparing it to the service manual and back to the bike i think it is routed fine i moved the cable in a couple diffrent ways and it still is doing the same thing could it be that it is the original cable and it is time to replce it has just under 17000 miles on it. Below are the picures of the cable any help is appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails clutch cable adjustment help please need to ride tommorow-2011-07-04_16-00-45_161.jpg   clutch cable adjustment help please need to ride tommorow-2011-07-04_16-00-54_230.jpg   clutch cable adjustment help please need to ride tommorow-2011-07-04_16-01-07_463.jpg   clutch cable adjustment help please need to ride tommorow-2011-07-04_16-01-21_42.jpg  
Old 07-06-2011, 12:57 PM

I assume it is a genuine Honda cable of the correct length? It sounds as if the cable is kinking when you turn the handlebars to the right. You may need to secure the outer cable with a tie to restrict movement of it to allow the inner to move more freely. Give it a go and get back to us?

Originally Posted by cbr600f4i13
i think im gonna have to bring it to a shop to have them check it out for me. I took the Fender offtoday and after comparing it to the service manual and back to the bike i think it is routed fine i moved the cable in a couple diffrent ways and it still is doing the same thing could it be that it is the original cable and it is time to replce it has just under 17000 miles on it. Below are the picures of the cable any help is appreciated.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:49 PM

I completely undid the cable from everywhere and had it free the only thing I see that hit the cable was the right fork when iyou turned right . The same thing happens it hasis no play full lock right. Is thisthe simulating what youit were throwingto out asyou an idea? Is that's dust I am 99.9 percent sure the cable supposed to go between the bike and the fork as instead of going around the outside of the fork. As far as. I do notyou know if it is a genuine honda cable I am not the original owner unfortunently but everything seems to be untouched mechanical wise so I assume the gavel is stock.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:38 PM

You are probably right about the cable routing. It needs to take the shortest route to the clutch acutating lever from the clutch lever on the handlebars. Try re-routing it the way you suggested and see if this cures your problem of losing slack at the clutch lever when turning to the right.

Originally Posted by cbr600f4i13
I completely undid the cable from everywhere and had it free the only thing I see that hit the cable was the right fork when iyou turned right . The same thing happens it hasis no play full lock right. Is thisthe simulating what youit were throwingto out asyou an idea? Is that's dust I am 99.9 percent sure the cable supposed to go between the bike and the fork as instead of going around the outside of the fork. As far as. I do notyou know if it is a genuine honda cable I am not the original owner unfortunently but everything seems to be untouched mechanical wise so I assume the gavel is stock.