General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chain tightness question

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 11:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chain tightness question

I've heard it's common for a chain to have tight and loose spots, but mine is extreme.

If the tightest spot is like a guitar string, at the loosest point it has nearly three inches of slack I can loosen it enough to have slack at the tightest spot, but then the loose parts will really be loose.

Is this a serious problem? Is there anything I can do, or have some links gotten so stretched out that it's just time for a new chain?

Thanks.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Chain tightness question

check the teeth on your sprockets too. You might have one thats bend or something. Either way if its your sprockets or your chain its time to replace the part thats broke if not both.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:06 PM

You measure the free play at the TIGHTEST spot on the chain. Sounds like your chain needs to be replaced.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:07 PM

It makes no sense that the chain would be that tight in large spots and then have another part of the chain hanging slack.It seems as though the links are bound up causing the problem. You could try lubing the chain really good and spinning the wheel while up on a stand to see if you can get it to loosen, but most likely it will need to be replaced.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:19 PM

usually cahin slack is supposed to be anywhere from 1" 1/4 to 1" 3/8 depending on the bike 3 inches is way to much. replace chain asap unless you can pull your wheeel back some more

Old 05-09-2008, 09:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Munson

I've heard it's common for a chain to have tight and loose spots, but mine is extreme.

If the tightest spot is like a guitar string, at the loosest point it has nearly three inches of slack I can loosen it enough to have slack at the tightest spot, but then the loose parts will really be loose.

Is this a serious problem? Is there anything I can do, or have some links gotten so stretched out that it's just time for a new chain?

Thanks.

My RK chain is doing the same thing. Mine has maybe 5000 mi on it since i got it and the sprockets. I was told it was from the stress of clutching up second. It really sucks because i was not wanting to buy another chain

Old 05-10-2008, 09:06 AM

ORIGINAL: dementedf3

ORIGINAL: Munson

Thanks.

My RK chain is doing the same thing. Mine has maybe 5000 mi on it since i got it and the sprockets. I was told it was from the stress of clutching up second. It really sucks because i was not wanting to buy another chain
Probably from lack of maintance on the chain. My RK has lasted 5000+ miles and I still dont even need to tighten the chain.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:56 AM
Banned

A chains slack is checked on the bottom run, halfway between the front and rear sprocket... jeez guys, I thought you were bikers...

It should be between 1 5/8" and 1 3/4" if I remember right. It's been a while and to be honest, I don't measure anymore.

You also should be checking the slack WITH YOU ON THE BIKE.

Sounds like what you've got, Munson, is a trashed chain. I'm guessing your rollers are shot which is why it feels tight in some places, loose in others and there isn't any consitency in it's tension. Combine that with stretched links and it's time to replace...

Old 05-10-2008, 09:57 AM
Banned

RK sucks, BTW.