General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chain Tensioner Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chain Tensioner Help

I have been trying to diagnose this unusual sound on my bike for the longest time, have tried multiple things and have come to the conclusion it is my Chain Tensioner. Now knowing that I need to replace it I was hoping someone could help me with with what I am going to have to do to replace it. I have a digital copy of the service manual but the pictures are kind of crappy and I think some of the steps are a bit excessive. I want to do the job right with as less unnecessary steps possible. Let me know what you guys think.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by foxens
I have been trying to diagnose this unusual sound on my bike for the longest time, have tried multiple things and have come to the conclusion it is my Chain Tensioner. Now knowing that I need to replace it I was hoping someone could help me with with what I am going to have to do to replace it. I have a digital copy of the service manual but the pictures are kind of crappy and I think some of the steps are a bit excessive. I want to do the job right with as less unnecessary steps possible. Let me know what you guys think.
Just finished up mine tonight. Haven't taken it for a ride but runs and sounds great on the stand! This job is a definite PITA but if you use the exact tools described in this tutorial you will be fine. When putting the bottom bolt back in, I actually used a round headed 5mm allen socket from BELOW the frame rail and finished the installation as outlined in the post.

Oh, be careful not to drop either of the washers. Not going to tell you how I know that, but replacements are about $2.50 at the dealership
Good luck and be PATIENT!!!

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...threadid=81780

Old 09-20-2009, 08:31 PM

Go to this web site and and there is a easy fix that Uncle Jeff has come up with.Here it is
CBRWorld.net - OEM CCT MODIFICATION PIC'S he seem to know what he is talking about he has wrote alot on the bb noise check it out and let me know what you think I am going to try it.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:07 AM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That first write-up is right on and the way I did mine. Only I found it easier to go in from under the frame rather than use the little access hole. Like cbrmeasap said, you will drop something down on the engine, and a telescoping magnet is very helpful, but not for the brass washers, lol.
As for modifying your CCTL, I'd much rather spend the money and replace it, than try to fix it, and find out later after going through all that trouble, that you have to tear it apart again
If you go with a manual tensioner, one of those closed-end racheting wrenches are very nice to have.