General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chain lube turning into black grease

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 11:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IDoDirt
You should only ride on clean roads.
LOL, would be nice, that and no cagers. I'll try the kerosene and teflon, maybe that way I can get it to stay clean as long as your chain does. Hell I'd be happy if it stayed clean 1k miles. Thanks for your help guys.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:53 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the Dupont lube on my chain. I previously used PJ1 but I found that it flings off onto the rim and other areas. Not so with the Dupont. It does not turn into a greasy black residue on mine.

I use Simple Green to clean the chain before lubing and then wash it off with a garden hose. I don't get WD40 anywhere near my O-ring chain.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:09 PM

My chain manufacturer, RK, recommends wd-40 to prevent rust, though not as a cleaner. They don't recommend any specific cleaner, I've got plenty of simple green so I'll give it a shot too.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:51 AM

I was using the 'no name' chain lube I got from a hardware store for a season. it worked fine but yes it did spray, then a friend told me to spray the bottom part of the chain and hold a rag on the other side, so that way, what ever extra is on the chain stays on the rag and not all over the chain.

You really don’t need to over do it, I found that a 3-5 min spray job lasted me 3-4 weeks, I soon started doing it 1st weekend of every month.

No need to clean, just lube it up a bit and wipe it off, you are cleaning and lubing at the same time.

most people think they need to spray the rear sprocket, which is good but what doesn’t land on the chain will build up on the sprocket and will spray everywhere when you go riding.

Try it, it works like a charm

Kind of like this

http://bolty.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/10_applying_lube.jpg

But instead of card board I use a rag to catch as much of the over spray as I can, then wipe it down almost right away. You can see a ton of crap come off the 1st time you do it. But after that hardly anything is on the chain, and it has plenty of lube on it.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:39 PM

Kudos to IDODIrt. That certainly is the full measure. I got a tip from a fellow a few years back. He suggested that I use chain lube (I use chain wax that I buy from Honda) to also clean the chain. My method goes something like this: Sray a bunch of lube onto a rag. Then, whith the back wheel off the ground, grab the bottom run of the chain. Keep wiping until the chain is clean. Then turn bck wheel a bit and work on next section. The theory is that the lube will clean the chain and put lube where it need to be. Since I keep the rag soaked with lube, this method uses alot of lube and is also quite messy. Then I try to leave the bike over night before riding it. That lets all the lube settle so that it won't be flung around.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:24 PM

yup 1+ for the rag method.
in short, don't go spraying the sprocket.
really... it doesn't need any oil at all.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:49 AM

have you tryed maxima chain wax and cable lube? its fling resistent parafin based and o ring chain safe. works great and no dirt sticks on it. mainly use it on my dualsport.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:25 AM

I actually kinda did the rag method this last time, I didn't use any wd-40 just used the teflon spray, grunge brush, and a couple rags to wipe off excess. I don't spray any on the sprockets usually just use the rag that has stuff on it to wipe them clean. It seems to get greasy only after the lube heats up on the chain after a ride.

Originally Posted by squidhead
have you tryed maxima chain wax and cable lube? its fling resistent parafin based and o ring chain safe. works great and no dirt sticks on it. mainly use it on my dualsport.
I haven't, was trying to get the dupont teflon working well or use it up first. Thanks for the recommendation.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:18 AM

I've been riding sportbikes for 20 years...nothing but the same motor oil I put in my engine going on my O-ring chains. I just wipe the chain down make sure to get the underside so it pulls/flings through the chain to the outer side. 1 quick ride, clean up the fling off and good to go. I get 20k mi a chain.