General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chain lube turning into black grease

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 05:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chain lube turning into black grease

I had been using wd-40 to clean and dupont teflon to lube my chain, but am having issues w/ the teflon lube attracting dirt and leaving a black grease on the chain and other parts once it's contaminated, only takes one ride really after clean and lube. When I use just wd-40 to clean and then wipe it off real good w/ no lube other than what little bit of wd-40 is on there the grease is not a problem. So for people who use dupont teflon or other chain lubes, do you have this grease problem?

Old 04-03-2012, 06:47 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

alot of lubes will do that.
Try to wipe it down good after you lube it, I'm assuming you spray on the lube and go. I like to spray it on, give it a wipe and let it settle for about 15mins before I take it for a drive.
PJ1 Blue label is a great lube if you can get your hands on it.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

I've used the Dupont Teflon Multi-Lube on my chains for about 4 years or so. I don't however use WD-40 to clean the chain. I use kerosene as recommended by the chain manufacturers. I don't find that it attracts dirt at all, however after a few thousand miles, it does get dirty and needs to be cleaned. I reapply the lubricant every 600 miles, which is the interval for the F3.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:03 PM

Jeff, I wipe off the lube as much as possible and usually wait overnight before I ride so I think it should be dry. I've seen some guys chains that look clean all the time, so that's why I'm wondering about the black grease. This last time the chain wasn't really dirty b/c I just used wd-40 and it stayed clean (no black grease), so I just sprayed on the teflon lube spun the wheel a few times and wiped it off.

IDoDirt when you clean your chain w/ kerosene do you just wipe it all off after clean then apply the lube? I'm wondering if there is some wd-40 left on the chain and when mixed w/ the teflon lube and some dirt it turns to this black greasy crap. There shouldn't have been any left on the chain this last time since the last time I cleaned it w/ wd-40 was 500 miles ago, and I just used the lube this time.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:08 PM

I clean my chain with kerosene,wipe off the excess and that's it. How are you going to lube an o-ring chain? Remeber,kerosene is a fuel/oil so you're essentially "lubing" the outside of the chain as well.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

IDoDirt when you clean your chain w/ kerosene do you just wipe it all off after clean then apply the lube?
Yes, I wipe the chain dry after I've cleaned it, and I'll apply the lube probably within 15 min or so after. The length of time I wait varies because it just depends on how long it takes to put the wheel back on the bike and then get the chain tension checked/adjusted. Then I apply the lube.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Monkeybutt2000
I clean my chain with kerosene,wipe off the excess and that's it. How are you going to lube an o-ring chain? Remeber,kerosene is a fuel/oil so you're essentially "lubing" the outside of the chain as well.
Yea, that is kinda my thought w/ the wd-40 cleaning which I've done before. I've seen magazine articles for dirt bikes where they say you don't need any lube on the outside of an o-ring chain, just something to prevent rust. This quote from RK's site pretty much sums it up "The purpose of an O-Ring lube is to keep the chain from rusting and the O-rings from drying out."

IDoDirt, so you pull your chain to clean it then, I just put my back on a stand and throw some cardboard behind the section I'm cleaning and the wheel/tire, spray on cleaner, scrub, and wipe off. I may try kerosene to clean it next time, hopefully it will work well in a spray bottle like wd-40 w/ the cleaning method I use.

Last edited by chambers; 04-03-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:02 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe if you use Kerosene and don't lube it after it dries up the O-rings when it evaporates.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by jeffjones
I believe if you use Kerosene and don't lube it after it dries up the O-rings when it evaporates.
Wouldn't wd-40 do the same thing? I was gonna try cleaning w/ kerosene and lubing w/ the teflon. I just cleaned and lubed it yesterday, so I'm irritated that it's greasy after only 1 ride today.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator

You should only ride on clean roads.

Originally Posted by chambers
IDoDirt, so you pull your chain to clean it then, I just put my back on a stand and throw some cardboard behind the section I'm cleaning and the wheel/tire, spray on cleaner, scrub, and wipe off. I may try kerosene to clean it next time, hopefully it will work well in a spray bottle like wd-40 w/ the cleaning method I use.
I don't take the chain off the bike if that's what you're asking. I take the wheel off while the bike sits on paddock stands. This allows the chain to dangle down into a oil changing pan that I fill with about 1/4" to 1/2" of kerosene. I then use a parts cleaning brush (anyone that's used a Safety Clean machine knows what I talking about) to clean the chain. I clean a section, the rotate the chain a little, then clean the next section. I keep doing this until I've cleaned the entire chain. I wipe it dry as best I can. I also remove the sprockets from the wheel and engine to clean them. I put it all back together, then spray on the Dupont Teflon. I'll clean it again in about 4k to 5k miles, with lubricating every 600 miles.

Last edited by IDoDirt; 04-03-2012 at 11:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Chain lube turning into black grease