General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

chain lube

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 04:21 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can use new/unused dryer sheets for misquito repellent. Just rub them over any exposed skin.

Scotch-brite will work in a similar fashion to the dryer sheets, as well.

Ern

Old 02-04-2012, 02:59 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MadHattr059
You can use new/unused dryer sheets for misquito repellent...
Since we're adding uses for dryer sheets.... They work great in tumblers as well, for gathering dust & keeping brass cleaner. ;-)

To keep this thread on topic... I clean my chains w/ wd40, red cloth shop towels, & a grunge-brush Finish Line - Bicycle Lubricants and Care Products.

Any quality chain lube will work fine; Belray, PJ1, Honda chain lube, Motorex, etc. Allow to sit on the chain as required b/f use.

Old 02-04-2012, 03:03 PM
Nov 2011 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have cans of WD older than some of my bikes.

If you dont let it get out of hand, it only takes a handfull of shots into a shop rag to clean a chain. A single can should last for "years" if thats all you used it for, I wouldnt sweat the cost.

The key is to clean your chains as well as possible before they get on the bike and then its simple maintenance to keep them that way.

I have mirror polished, raw machined aluminum wheels, I know my chains intimately.

Originally Posted by DonnyBrago
WD-40 is FAR FAR too expensive to use as a chain cleaner. The bit of WD40 that makes it good at cleaning chains is the solvent, the solvent in it is just white spirit. In reality, white spirit is too volatile for for rubber O ring chains really although most people can use it regularly without ill effect.

Chain manufacturers (DID, Honda OEM etc) recommend kerosene/paraffin, that is what I use, works really well and is about 1/20th of the price of WD40. In the UK the easiest way to find it is in DIY shops sold as outdoor lamp fuel, probably a lot more available in the US. Just buy some kerosene, use a bowl and an old paintbrush and agitate the crud. Also consider making one of these:

https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-mecha...s-poor-124076/

Old 02-04-2012, 06:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dryer sheets are interesting. I use one of those bars in the dryer instead of sheets so I'm outta luck w/ used dryer sheets. I use wd-40 and a toothbrush to clean (soon a grunge brush), then wipe it off real good, lube up w/ dupont teflon. My chain was covered in crap when I got it, I guess the PO just kept spraying on PJ1 blue label and never cleaned or adjusted the chain.