F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

chain lube

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 10:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chain lube

so what kind of chain lube do you guys use i bought that pj1 crap and it flings every where all over the bike .

Old 10-26-2008, 10:19 PM
Default RE: chain lube

Did you ride it first to heat up the chain and leave it overnight to soak in . I use 80/90 weight oil and it does make a little mess but next time I`m going to try this method Mr Clean

Old 10-26-2008, 10:24 PM

ORIGINAL: repyosol

so what kind of chain lube do you guys use i bought that pj1 crap and it flings every where all over the bike .
what kind of pj1 are ya using, I use PJ1 blue label and i love the stuff.

-Ride a bit and get all the current crap on the chain loosened up.
-Come home and wipe all the crap off ( some people clean their chain with wd-40 or what not, do what ya want)
-coat the chain with the PJ1
-wipe the excess off and then dont ride for a couple hours

I do that when I lube and adjust my chain and have never had any problems with lube flying off. Keep in mind its still a good idea to keep it adjusted and lubed every 800-1000 miles. Good luck.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:27 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

90w gear oil.... it's what Honda recommends as well. A bit messy to apply and flings a bit on the first ride, but it's fantastic for lubrication and keeps the chain very clean. Good stuff if you care about your chain lasting for awhile I've had much better luck with this than any of the commercially available chain lubes/waxes, and I've gone through a good number of chains

Old 10-26-2008, 10:32 PM

ORIGINAL: thirdgenlxi

90w gear oil.... it's what Honda recommends as well. A bit messy to apply and flings a bit on the first ride, but it's fantastic for lubrication and keeps the chain very clean. Good stuff if you care about your chain lasting for awhile I've had much better luck with this than any of the commercially available chain lubes/waxes, and I've gone through a good number of chains
listen to the man.........he's kind of an F4i god.

and click here for some good reading on lubes.....

Old 10-27-2008, 11:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried and hated the pj1 stuff too. I use Belray chain lube and it sticks well. It does build up over time though and requires cleaning.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:58 PM

While heavy weight oil is what the factory manuals all call for, it's messy, it picks up dirt and debris, and it doesn't withstand weather as well as dry film lubes.

My personal favorite is Amsoil HD Metal Protector. It's a dry film wax lube that sprays on clean, dries quickly, dries gold (makes those gold DID and Renthals look even purtier :P ), and won't attract debris and dirt nearly as much as conventional chain lubes.

I've used Amsoil HD MP on every chain I've used in the past 4 years... motorcycles, dirt bikes, mountain bikes, road bikes, etc. etc. The stuff rules.

Always clean my chains with WD40, give the chain a good spray once around with the rear wheel up on a stand. (making sure to catch the overspray with a rag or cloth.... WD40 on your tires and brake pads/rotorsis no bueno). Once wet with WD40, wipe down well, respray if necessary. I then use Q-tips to clean in between the links. I know that sounds like overkill, but it doesn't take as long as you would think. Next, I ride the bike around the block a few times to warm up the chain. Then I park, spray with the dry film lube, wipe up any excess (e.g. on the swingarm protector, undertail, etc), let dry briefly, and all done!

I highly recommend dry film lubes to anyone out there.

the blonde weasel

Old 10-28-2008, 11:04 AM

Thanks everyone for you response vary helpful.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:22 AM

ORIGINAL: jonld

I tried and hated the pj1 stuff too. I use Belray chain lube and it sticks well. It does build up over time though and requires cleaning.
+1 I also use the belray and would recommend it to everyone. Just my 2cents

Old 10-28-2008, 07:24 PM

I'm using Repsol for now, but I'll probably pick up some chain wax when this can runs dry. Most of my friends use it, and I have yet to see chain lube on their bikes. My Repsol does good, just a hair runny compared to the Wax.

Quick Reply: chain lube