tip for chain lube

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 02:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tip for chain lube

CAn anyone help me out with this. Is there any mistery to or simply put the lube on and thats it.

Thanks

Old 07-14-2006, 02:58 PM
Default RE: tip for chain lube

CLEAN it first real good (i use good ol' WD40). then run the bike for a bit to warm up the chain... then apply some lube pretty simple.

Old 07-14-2006, 03:49 PM

clean it first. i do not suggest WD40, but others on this board have expressed that they have but have also said the wash off the WD-40 before applying the lube. personally, i use either White Kerosene or brake parts cleaner (non flammable kind). Honda makes a contact and brake parts cleaner that is safe for rubber and removes chain lube. the only thing i would say about using Brake parts cleaner is that you have be sure you lube the entire chain completly because the brake parts cleaner strips all lubrication off the metal.

but there is no trick. just clean it and apply chain wax (Maxima or Honda Pro)

Old 07-14-2006, 03:51 PM

Use the lube sparingly and just lube the outer parts of the chain where the o-rings are...I usually take a little ride after cleaning the chain to warm it up (you'll see the lube bubble up and soak in), shut the bike off, then put it on a stand and spin the wheel by hand and lube.

Old 07-14-2006, 05:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Fretless33

Use the lube sparingly and just lube the outer parts of the chain where the o-rings are...
On my can of Motul chain lube it says to lube only the inside part of the chain, where the sprocket teeth make contact with the chain. Is that not correct? What part of the chain are you talking about Fret?

Old 07-15-2006, 07:44 PM

your thinking of the right part your pretty much just lubing the o rings inside not the metal on the sprocket teeth

Old 07-15-2006, 09:44 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya, all the "real" lube is inside the o-rings (or x-rings). All you're doing when you lube the chain is cleaning the grit outta the crevices and lubing the o-rings to keep them from cracking. I've been told wd-40 is fine for cleaning and I know it won't harm o-rings but I find kerosene to be much cheaper by the gallon and it does a fantastic job.

Where I diverge from the rest of the world it that I don't use grease or wax or traditional in-the-can lubes. I use straight 85 or 90 weight gear oil. I put it on with a tooth brush (no, not the one I brush my teeth with), let it sit for a while then wipe as much as I can off. This has worked for me for a looooong time and I get to giggle when I see the $12 chain lube can at the stealership.

Old 07-16-2006, 11:03 PM
Retired Super Moderator

Same here...my manual actually says to use 90 weight gear oil, and i've had no problems with it at all.

-Adam

Old 07-17-2006, 12:50 AM

[:@]DONT STICK YOUR HAND ANYWHERE NEAR A MOVING CHAIN OR ENGINEs OR BELTS ANYTHING UNLESS YOU WANT NUBBS IVE SERIOUSLY MET 3 PEOPlE this week who have done it[:@]

Old 07-17-2006, 09:54 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: tweak mt

[:@]DONT STICK YOUR HAND ANYWHERE NEAR A MOVING CHAIN OR ENGINEs OR BELTS ANYTHING UNLESS YOU WANT NUBBS IVE SERIOUSLY MET 3 PEOPlE this week who have done it[:@]
True dat! I used to have a picture of a dude that let his engine help him lube the chain. Broken bones, stitches, tipped over bike and lifetime embarrassment -- just not worth it, eh?

Quick Reply: tip for chain lube