General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just got my first 99 cbr600f4!!! help please!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 06:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just got my first 99 cbr600f4!!! help please!!

Hi,
I just recently bought a 99 cbr600f4 with 12k and ive never worked on bikes till now! haha So i took it to the mechanic and had them go through the bike, they told me I have to get the carb cleaned (which i already figured due to the bike bogging out when u rev it, but it seemed to idle fine) and that it needs new spark plugs.

They also said its only running on two cylinders.. now i cleaned the carbs and im waiting on new fuel lines and a fuel filter and the plugs to come in so i can change them. (the guy said the bike was sitting for awhile) and by the looks of the carbs it must of been A LONG WHILE haha so i figured adding seafoam to the gas wouldnt hurt it and maybe help as well??

Does anyone know if this should fix the cylinder problem or might there be something else i should be aware of? Im pretty handy and can work on my own cause i have previous experiance working on boats and plus im trying to save a few $$$!! There is also minimal rust in the tank which im cleaning out with "evaporust" as we speak so im hoping that works! any advice you guys could give me?? thank you!!

Old 02-02-2012, 07:36 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Warm it up and do a compression check, if you have the guage. Or talk to your
mechanic. That will tell you if the rings and valves are good. If so then you can
go on to other options. But do the compression check first. That will verify whether
you are working with a solid engine mechanically. Then it's on to the fuel/air/spark
issues to determine what issues are involved.

Also, what cylinders are firing and which are missing? It's possible you have a bad coil.
Put your hand NEAR. not ON, each header pipe in turn, to determine which are
hot, hence firing. Get back with that info, if you can.

But the first thing I would do with a used bike is the compression test.

Hope this helps, Ern

Old 02-02-2012, 10:27 PM

hey thanks im waiting for some parts to arrive so i should be getting back to you next week with all the info! the bike was sitting for awhile so im hoping a good carb clean and a spark plug change will fix it but ill definetly do what you said. thanks again!

Old 02-06-2012, 10:37 PM

okay here it is! I just got my parts in today and just got the bike back together and running... well i think running good... it put the cleaned carb on and new fuel lines and a fuel filter and i took the rust out of the tank and rinsed and dryed it throughly also replaced all four irdium spark plugs.. then i put high grade fuel in it and a really good fuel additive from my mechanic to keep the gunk from forming on the jets again..

It took awhile to start up i think its cause the fuel had to run through but i got it running and it bogged out on me a few times and its still bogging out when i gave it gas but i babied it up past 3g and it idled fine ...i let it warm up for alittle and check the headers like you said and yes all four of them were scorching hot so i dont think im running on two cylinders anymore...

I took it for a cruise around the neighborhood and it shifted fine and everything but the only thing i could really hear was a whining type noise coming from what i think is under forward of the tank.. is that normal should i be worried? any suggestions?? (also, while i was putting everything back together i pulled a hose and spilled some coolant so i dont know if that matters at all).. anyways thats all i just went through so if you could think of anything or any suggestions?? thanks!!

Old 02-07-2012, 07:18 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you've got a stock exhaust, it's probably quiet enough for you to hear the gearbox
noise perking up through the fairings, etc. That should be normal. If it's an excessively
loud noise, there might be cause for concern.

Hope this helps, Ern

Old 02-07-2012, 12:13 PM

Like hattr said, as long as its not extremely loud you should be fine. And by a cruise i dont assume you really got on it at all. once you crack it open all youll be hearing is wind, rpms, and exhaust.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:39 PM

thanks guys, also its idling low and will shut off if not given gas for awhile..is there a way i can adjust the idle its below 1g and isnt normal 1100 to 1300 ussually?? idk thanks for any suggestions!

Old 02-07-2012, 07:29 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

Underneath you right knee, underneath the tank. For California bikes its 1400 +/- 100 and for all other us bikes its 1300 +/- 100

Old 02-07-2012, 08:01 PM

is it a little plastic **** that comes from your carb?? if so i thought it was i cant figure out how to adjust it.. and adjust it to 1300 +/- 100 at that haha sorry im new at all this learning sorry about that.. thanks!

Old 02-07-2012, 09:33 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

its right next to the rear brake fluid reservoir. When you adjust it make sure your bike is warm. It will take a little bit of effort to move but it will.

Quick Reply: just got my first 99 cbr600f4!!! help please!!