General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chain lube?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 08:14 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
Just because you say something doesn't mean it's true,
Likewise I'm sure. The product label on WD-40 specifically says that is is a PENETRANT. Look up the word if you do not understand the meaning.

Now then, try and picture what will happen when that PENETRANT mixes with the grease that is packed inside an O-ring chain. It may not look from the outside that any damage is being done because it is not obvious to the naked eye.

You do what you want with your chain, it's your money. I will not be applying a PENETRANT to my expensive O-ring chain, nor will I ever recommend such poor advice for others to do so.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:45 AM
Administrator - Retired

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
Likewise I'm sure. The product label on WD-40 specifically says that is is a PENETRANT. Look up the word if you do not understand the meaning.

Now then, try and picture what will happen when that PENETRANT mixes with the grease that is packed inside an O-ring chain. It may not look from the outside that any damage is being done because it is not obvious to the naked eye.

You do what you want with your chain, it's your money. I will not be applying a PENETRANT to my expensive O-ring chain, nor will I ever recommend such poor advice for others to do so.
Ohh, big bold letters. You look frustrated about being wrong.

At least i have some evidence. You don't.
It's on RK's website that WD40 is fine. I also have a letter from Tsubaki chain saying it's fine. I've been using it exclusively for the last 19,000 miles, and I know of 2 people personally who have been using it on their race and personal bikes for 10X as many miles as me (one for 15yrs+). There are also countless other people getting great mileage from it with no ill-effects.

But because you think it's harmful, you're right.
lol..... That's a good one.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
Ohh, big bold letters. You look frustrated about being wrong.

At least i have some evidence. You don't.
It's on RK's website that WD40 is fine. I also have a letter from Tsubaki chain saying it's fine. I've been using it exclusively for the last 19,000 miles, and I know of 2 people personally who have been using it on their race and personal bikes for 10X as many miles as me (one for 15yrs+). There are also countless other people getting great mileage from it with no ill-effects.

But because you think it's harmful, you're right.
lol..... That's a good one.
You obviously did not look up the word "penetrant". There, I put it in small lettering this time so I would not tax your apparently limited comprehension powers. Now go look it up and then get back to me with why a penetrant will not penetrate past the O-rings on an O-ring chain.

I guess it is smart penetrant, eh? LOL - that's a good one.

Just because you cannot immediately see that it is breaking down the grease inside that expensive O-ring chain does not mean it is not gradually doing it. Did you look up that word yet?

Old 08-26-2013, 02:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Penetrating oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Says that "Using penetrating fluids as general-purpose lubricants is not advisable, because such oils are relatively volatile. As a result, much of the penetrating oil will evaporate in a short amount of time, leaving little residual lubricant. To ensure long-term lubrication, some penetrating oil formulations, such as WD-40, contain a non-volatile lubricating component."

Doesn't that say WD-40 contains a NON-volatile lubricating compound unlike other penetrating fluids? Meaning it wouldn't have the negative effect you're stating it has?

Seems like WD-40 is the exception to that rule.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:03 PM

Get moly chain lube from cycle gear. Research and see why its best stuff on the market. Plus, its on sale 5.99. Moly is al around waaay better than any wax or others.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:53 PM
Administrator - Retired

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
You obviously did not look up the word "penetrant". There, I put it in small lettering this time so I would not tax your apparently limited comprehension powers. Now go look it up and then get back to me with why a penetrant will not penetrate past the O-rings on an O-ring chain.

I guess it is smart penetrant, eh? LOL - that's a good one.

Just because you cannot immediately see that it is breaking down the grease inside that expensive O-ring chain does not mean it is not gradually doing it. Did you look up that word yet?
haha... so you're stuck on the word "penetrating"?
They use that word because it's low viscosity.
Have you read the claims on that Dupont Multi-Use Teflon Spray that you use?
"Very low surface tension; goes on wet to penetrate"
OMG!!! It penetrates!!

You still haven't explained to me why RK and Tsubaki recommend WD40 on their chains. I'm sure they're wrong, I'm wrong, and all the people I know with a pile of miles on their bikes are wrong.
But you're right......with no evidence other than "it says it penetrates on the can".

Old 08-27-2013, 01:58 AM

cause thats what he uses on the huffy ten speed. lol...

Old 08-27-2013, 06:21 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

I love these I feel like I actually learn something! I love WD-40 and I use it for just about everything just not as a lube for my chain. Personal choice.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:49 PM

Hi boys and girls. I'm not even going to read whatever remarks, pro or con, have been made since my last post in this thread. Let me just cut right to the chase.

I contacted the makers of WD-40 via email and I asked them directly if there is any chance that their product, being a penetrant, can breakdown the grease that is packed inside an O-ring chain. I have copied their reply below. Take 30 seconds and actually read it. Other than removing my full name and email address I have not edited it in any way. Feel free to contact the WD-40 CS rep listed in the reply if you'd like to verify its authenticity.

Any questions?

-----Original Message-----
From: WD40BrandsCustomerService <WD40BrandsCS@tmpwdirect.com>
To: Jeff <xxxxx@xxxxx.xxx>
Sent: Tue, Aug 27, 2013 2:35 pm
Subject: RE: WD-40

Dear Jeff,

Thank you for contacting WD-40 Company.

Please be advised that WD-40 could penetrate behind the O rings and remove the lubricant that has been previously placed there.

Thank you again for contacting WD-40 Company. Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.

Best regards,
Susan Doncheski
WD-40 Customer Service

Sent: Monday, August 26, 2013 10:43 PM
To: WD40BrandsCustomerService
Subject: Re: WD-40

Hi Susan,

Thank you for your quick reply. However, this does not answer the question that I asked.

I mentioned several times in my inquiry that I am not questioning whether WD-40 can damage the O-rings on an O-ring chain. My concern is that WD-40 is listed as a penetrant and I am wondering if it can penetrate past the sealed O-rings and mix with the grease that is packed behind them on an O-ring motorcycle chain and eventually break down that grease. Thank you.

Jeff

-----Original Message-----
From: WD40BrandsCustomerService <WD40BrandsCS@tmpwdirect.com>
To: Jeff
Sent: Mon, Aug 26, 2013 2:21 pm
Subject: WD-40

Dear Jeff,

Thank you for contacting WD-40 Company with regards to using WD-40 on o-rings.

WD-40 is a multi-purpose light lubricating oil, which will displace water and moisture from the chain. The "WD" stands for water displacement and acts as a rust preventative on any metal surface. WD-40 will not dry out the rubber o-rings. We have found no visible effects on the surface of rubber and o-rings. Certain types of rubber will swell under prolonged immersion in WD-40 (this refers to long soaking and not just a spray).

WD-40 is also a cleaner, which will remove grime, dirt, tape, bumper stickers and oil. It is possible that if there is a special lubricant in the o-rings, WD-40 could act as a cleaner and remove that oil. The special lubricant would be replaced with WD-40. We are sure there are superior heavy-duty chain lubes on the market. There are several people who recommend using WD-40 on their chains. Perhaps some experimenting with WD-40, as a water remover and rust preventative followed by a heavier chain lube would fit your needs. The bottom line is WD-40 will not harm your o-rings, but it could remove a lubricant that was previously applied to the chain.

Thank you again for contacting WD-40 Company. Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.

Best regards,
Susan Doncheski
WD-40 Customer Service

Sent: Sunday, August 25, 2013 12:25 PM
To: WD40BrandsCustomerService
Subject: Contact Us Form Submitted

COMMENTS

I know that WD-40 works well for removing grease. Since the product says that it is a penetrant is there any chance that it could penetrate past the O-rings on an O-ring motorcycle chain and breakdown the packed grease inside it when this is used to clean a chain? I'm not asking about damaging the O-rings themselves, just whether or not WD-40 can penetrate past them and mix with the grease. Thanks.

DATE

2013-08-25

TIME

12:25:28

Old 08-27-2013, 08:49 PM

I just go to my local kfc in the back of the parking lot and fill me a gallon jugg full of used chicken grease out the big grease catch. Works pretty good minus having to get out the chunks of fat floating around. After that you can even put it in a spray bottle and lube anything around, works on everything. My dog loves it too. I just spray it right on his doggie treats.

Quick Reply: Chain lube?