General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chain lube?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 04:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gear oil like manual recommends.

I get sling anyways, so at least its easy to wipe off.

plus the chain looks all pretty and clean, unlike with the lubes I have tried.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:08 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just word of caution here. WD-40 is not a lube and it was not designed to be one. It displaces water and is a penetrant and thus can get past your O-rings and breakdown the grease inside. Use a real chain lube that was designed for the purpose. I personally use PJ1 Blue Label.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:34 PM

I use Honda HP Chain lube with White Graphite. Seems to work pretty good and not too much fling off like many of the other products I tried

Old 03-13-2011, 10:55 PM

I use to use a lot of chain lube but started using a good bit less and it still flings pretty bad. Im more concerned about the greasy build up by the kick stand and on my fairing. Does anyone else get this on there bikes? It's a pain to clean. Lol. I think in gunna switch to either JP1 blue label or maybe try that royal purple chain lube.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeff is right, WD-40 is horrible for your chain. It works great for lubing things such as small hinges, but its lubrication properties are not meant for things that move at great rates and can actually do more damage than good.

Even though todays standards are higher, the chain is still a mechanical part and metal on metal is never a good thing, you need some form of a lubricant to decrease friction. You can use any dry wax lube from a shop, and I believe even dupont has one out for sale at home depot, lowes etc. Gear lube can be used also, it just tends to sling off if too much is used.

Last edited by YourEnemy; 03-14-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:12 PM

i use motul road chain lube..i seen it gets on my rim bad so went to clean it and was terrible to get off...looked over at the laundry stuff and seen some shout sitting there and said what the heck and sprayed sprayed it on the rim..to my amazement the sticky lube on my rim started dripping off..so with a rag i wiped it and it came off like dust...i believe shouting it off works great and looks better clean..hope this helps those that use a sticky lube...

Old 08-24-2013, 08:44 PM
Administrator - Retired

A two and a half year chain lube necro? Lol...

I enjoyed the WD40 haters, though. As if they have proof that it's no good.
WD works great for me. It cleans well and it's not messy.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:03 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave

I use Simple Green for cleaning the chain, along with a Grunge Brush. Unlike WD-40, it is not listed on the product label as being a penetrant and thus there's no danger of it breaking down the grease packed behind an O-ring chain.

For lubing, after I wash off the remnants of the Simple Green and dry the chain, I spray it with DuPont's Teflon Multi-Use lube, available at Lowes.

Old 08-25-2013, 03:15 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

Originally Posted by dinom
...i believe shouting it off works great ...
lol. But yes I use spent dryer sheets, with kerosine to clean and the pro honda chain lube with moly or graphite depending on time of the year. But the dupont teflon is great!

There should be a necro award. Or something.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:49 AM
Administrator - Retired

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
I use Simple Green for cleaning the chain, along with a Grunge Brush. Unlike WD-40, it is not listed on the product label as being a penetrant and thus there's no danger of it breaking down the grease packed behind an O-ring chain.

For lubing, after I wash off the remnants of the Simple Green and dry the chain, I spray it with DuPont's Teflon Multi-Use lube, available at Lowes.

Just because you say something doesn't mean it's true, or that you have any real-world experience with it.
I have 19k on my chain right now using WD40, and I know plenty of people who have been using it for way longer/more miles than me.
Hell, RK and Tsubaki both say WD40 is fine. They even recommend it.
Using what you like is cool, but claiming another product damages chains without the proof is silly.

Quick Reply: Chain lube?