General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

chain adjustment????????

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 12:18 AM
2011 Ride of the Year
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chain adjustment????????

my chain is little loose and i would like to make it tension adjustment..

first question i have is: how stiff the chain should be???? im new to street bikes but i have noticed on my 125 Suzuki that when i made the chain stiffer i had a lot of power gain.

second question is: how do i know the rear wheel is straight after adjustment. i do not want to screw something up and have a terrible experience riding or even worse, loose the bike from under me on the corner because my wheel is out of alignment.

anybody that can help, please come forward, i would like to do this myself. i want to learn about my bike as much as possible.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can do it yourself,Use the marks on the back of the swing arm as a guide.Your chain should have about 1" of play.Measure it about half way down the swingarm and lift it.Hope this helps.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to find the tightest point on the chain (between front & rear sprocket). This will mean having to rotate the rear wheel a few times till you find it. The adjustment markings are not always accurate & I loosen off the adjuster nuts & turn each one the same till I get chain adjusted to the right tension. Then go for a quick ride, then lube the chain.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:46 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scorpionvmu
first question i have is: how stiff the chain should be????
The owner's manual on my bike says 1-1.4 inches of slack at the bottom half of the chain, halfway between the two sprockets. Take a ruler and try to move the chain up and down at that point and measure the total deflection.

Originally Posted by scorpionvmu
second question is: how do i know the rear wheel is straight after adjustment.
I use a fairly inexpensive gadget called a Motion Pro Chain Alignment Tool. They say the hash marks on the swingarm aren't always accurate so I bought the tool to verify that the wheel was straight. In my case the swingarm marks are apparently accurate. They also sell laser pointing aligning tools but those cost a lot more.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:07 PM
2011 Ride of the Year
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you all, i just checked the chain and its adjusted just fine..... i thought it was loose but i guess not.

thats why i asked before started to do anything.