General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cbr turns over but wont start

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 12:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cbr turns over but wont start

Hi,
I am having some trouble with my f3. last winter i didnt stabilize the fuel and it wouldn't start so i drained it and put new fuel and carb cleaner through it. it would start after that but needed to be warmed up to run well. a few weeks ago i was driving it and it just died. It sounded weak when I turned it over so i boosted it and it ran for a while but it would periodically die. Now I cant even get it started with a boost. I checked the battery and its good. the stator is supposedly only a year old according to the guy i bought the bike from last fall. he said he also replaced the wires and plugs. Any help on figuring out if it is and electrical problem or a fuel problem?

Old 09-18-2010, 08:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd suspect fouled plugs. Im not sure why it dieing, whether its a bad stator, rectifier, or just the plugs are bad.

I'd pull the plugs. If they are wet and smell of gas, replace them. Hopefully thats all it is, and not an electrical issue.

On the cold start up thing, don't drive the bike until its fully warmed up. A cold bike can lead towards fouled plugs. Plus, its better for the engine to be fully warmed before driving it. Let it idle for at least 3-4 minutes if its being started for the first time that day.

Once you get it started again, take a volt meter and start checking the output of the charging system. At 2000 rpms, it should be around 14.5 volts. If its over 15, near 16 or 17.. the rectifier is probably bad. If its under 13.5 or so, the stator is probably bad. if you suspect the stator, you can test it by measuring resistance across the leads of the stator.

Also, not sure how you boosted the bike, but hopefully it wasn't with a running vehicle. The charging systems are different and you could potentially cause problems with your bike.