F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

f4i wont start (Turns over fine)

Old 03-10-2012, 06:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default f4i wont start (Turns over fine)

Put the CBR back together after valve adjustments(last spring). checked the valves before closing the lid and the marks all line up with right clearances. Connected every plug there was, and hoses, especially the vacuum hoses.

The battery is dead but I have it charging and trying the 200amp jump.

Good news when attempting jump:
fuel pump works every time.
all lights work.
no odd ball lights on the dash.
just keeps turning over

I was leaning towards it not having fuel in the lines so I turned the fuel pump on and off a few times and pressing the start button, hoping it would push some fuel through, but it still does not want to start.

What could this be??? fresh fuel BTW

EDIT__________________
well I kept trying and it started! But I am getting a ticking noise, and I suspect valves. I am not liking this!

It has the APE CCT and I know that is not the sound of a loose CCT

Last edited by shok47; 03-10-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:00 PM

any leaks?

Old 03-10-2012, 09:48 PM

I don't know for certain the problem your bike is having...but this sounds a lot like what was going on with my bike.

Everything was good, and was turning over, just not catching and starting. Finally I was able to get it started, but it ran REAL bad and died almost immediately.

My plugs were bad. I changed the plugs and it started right up.

When I took it out for it's first run...I heard a loud ticking noise. I believe it was the fuel injectors or something because I most likely flooded it (over saturated injectors or cylinders or something) when trying to start it so much. After the bike warmed up, I took it for a few spirited pulls, and the ticking went away.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:26 AM

Got brand new plugs, haven't until now.

took the bike out for a little and opened it up a a little. Still have the ticking. It definitely ran smoother after the valve adjustments. I will have to check the CCT again just to make sure.

I barely hear it when I was riding. Will have to change the oil and see if that helps, as the oil has been there since last spring, and have been meaning to change it.

I believe that is no leaks. I will check the exhaust headers for leaks. I will also make a video

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited by shok47; 03-11-2012 at 12:55 AM.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:53 AM

I just bought my f4i from a lady that had it sitting for over a year, started it up it ran perfect but after 10 minutes of riding it started acting really sluggish, white smoke from exhaust, the engine was lugging everywhere and I had to rev it to 5-6k first gear and it still felt like it was going to stall bad. Also I hear plenty of ticking and buzzing noises from my bike too. Took it to a mechanic, what happenned was the fuel regulator had a busted diaphragm which meant it was putting the extra fuel back into the cylinders which caused two of my plugs to foul out. Fixed the two plugs and regulator bike runs like a champ now! Still have the ticking noises, the mechanic rode the bike and he told me all those noises were just from the valves, and that it is normal.( bike has only 4000 miles so valve adjustment at this point he told me not necessary). I don't doubt that one of the small buzzing noises I now here is most likely from the cct, so I am going to replace it soon even though my bike has such low mileage.