General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CBR 929 Add Ons *Lights* Help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 02:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question CBR 929 Add Ons *Lights* Help?

Hey there-
Ive been asking around, asking friends, and was pointed to this site. Im pumped there is actually a serious chat site talking about bikes. I have a 2001 CBR 929 RR, pretty sick bike, had it for about 4 months, just put new exhaust and tires on it. The next step I want to do is change out the front turning lights with some flush mount ones. However instead of getting ones designed to fit my model of bike, I picked up ones that are universal. They are K & S brand, flush mount carbon/clear lenses. They look good in the package, but realize they are a good size bigger then the hole in the side panel/fairing. From what I gathered so far, they are meant to fit 'over' the hole, not inside of it by way of taking off the side panel. I havent started the disassembly yet, wanted to see what people think of the best way to remove and install the flush mounts. There are some small plate like pieces that fit on the back side, around the wiring, with one side a sticky/adhesive. Of course, no directions or even a paper with a picture came in the package. In addition, a baggy of bolts, nuts, and washers came in the package too. I dont think those are needed, unless someone needed to drill holes in the panel (which im not about to do).
So i guess i was hoping someone out there was familiar with the universal flush mounts, the best way to install them, and how they are held in place. I think the wiring part isn't too big of a challenge, and down the road I may spring and switch to lights designed for the 929 RR, but I thought these looked good, and wanted to give them a try.
Thanks for taking time, hopefully there is someone out there that could help out a bit....
Also, being on a tight budget, I still would like to customize it down the road. If anyone has good ideas for this model Im interested in ideas. Its red, black and white, looks pretty clean so far with the Two Brothers exhaust, stoked to be riding it right now

Old 01-11-2012, 09:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a F4i, so I may not be much help...

...but regardless, I would think that once you get your existing front signals off, you'd see the holes already there for the wiring. just reuse those holes.

are the flush mounts you got standard bulbs or LEDs?

Old 01-11-2012, 10:18 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

you get the stockers off of your bike, throw the aftermarket one on, there's a plate that goes on the inside of the fairing over the bolt, then you bolt it on over the wires and that's how its held in place.

they're usually incandescent bulbs - if they're the ones i'm thinking of.

if you have LED ones, there's no problem with that, you'll just have a faster flash on the turnsignal so long as you don't have LED rear signals.

if you have LED rear signals already, then you'll need some sort of resistor so that it'll still flash.

they're usually two wire flushmounts, so there's no option for a running light. just make sure you plug up the ground and turn signal - not ground and running light.

o and welcome to cbrf!