General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CBR 600FW Starter problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012 | 02:45 AM
|
Default CBR 600FW Starter problem

Hi Guys,

Got a problem with my CBR 600FW. The bike has been sitting for a few months over winter. Put a brand new battery in but when I went to start it, got nothing. I noticed the neutral light wasn't on so I made sure it was in neutral and still nothing! I put it in gear, pulled the clutch in but all I get now is a "whirring" noise coming from the starter. Don't know if it's the neutral switch but it seems funny I'm getting this noise from the starter. Any suggestions?

P.S I have filmed it on my mobile but I'm a new member and I've not worked out how to put it on the site yet.

Old 03-10-2012 | 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you'll find a lot of good information here. As to the problem at hand, clearly the bike has to be in neutral in order to start, or have the clutch lever pulled in. The first symptom you describe that you got nothing when you hit the starter switch. By nothing I can only assume (yea I know) that you mean that it's like you didn't even hit the starter switch. Since you noticed it wasn't in neutral, we'll assume that was the cause of the "nothing" happening. Since you're getting a whirring noise, it would seem that the starter motor is actally spinning. Having sat for a an extended period of time, the starter clutch could be stuck. Can you put your hand on the starter to confirm that the starter is spinning ? Sometimes a few sharp taps with a rubber mallet on the starter can free it, but realize I'm not condoning beating your bike with a hammer to make it go. Pulling the starter is not difficult and may just need a little lubrication.

Old 03-11-2012 | 05:02 AM
|

ha ha, no mate, not hit it with a hammer ( YET )!! I've ordered a new starter relay so I'll wait till I fit it then if the problem persists I'll post again. It's funny how the Neutral light is out and I tried the indicators ( turn sigals ) and they're out too! It 's totally dead when I try to start it when it's defo in neutral but when I kick it into gear and pull the clutch in it makes that noise! Could it be a bad earth somewhere?

Old 03-11-2012 | 01:31 PM

It certainly sounds as if you have an electrical issue going on. Are you sure the battery is connected correctly? Some models will have more than one wire leading to either post. Make sure all cables are connected and tight. Also, with some batteries, they have bolts that are too long so the bolt bottoms out in the battery connector before the cables are truly tight. Just make sure the cables are tight. Also, make sure the battery is 100 percent charged. I know its a new battery, but it needs to be fully charged before attempting a start.

This may also be a good time to check all of your fuses, especially your main. Many times during a battery installation, you can accidentally touch the hot to ground with a wrench. If this happens, its a fraction of a second to blow the fuse.

Was your new battery the type you have to fill with acid? Many times, you need to let it sit before charging.

Old 03-12-2012 | 04:48 AM
|

Hi Justasquid thanks for the input mate. I made sure the battery was fully charged, all the fuses are ok. The main 30amp one was blown but I changed that. Here's a link for the video so everyone can actuall see the problem, might help a bit more than me trying to describe it. Sorry for the quality lol. When the camera goes close up that's when I have the bike in gear with the clutch in. CBR 600FW starter problems - YouTube

Old 03-13-2012 | 09:46 AM
|

It's ok guys, got it going! New starter relay and a blown fuse!

Old 03-14-2012 | 01:48 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

did you do what they were saying to do yet?

Old 03-15-2012 | 09:36 AM
|

Hi CJardine. Make sure you try all these checks before spending any money. Make sure the battery is fully charged and connected up tightly and correctly ( as if you're sitting on the bike, + on the left - on the right ). Check the 30 amp fuse in the starter relay, this can be found if you follow the lead from the + on the battery. It's the first tning you'll come to. Pull the connector out by pressing both of the lugs and check the fuse, it'll be a bit stiff to come off! If thats ok, check the fuses in the fuse box, remember to give them a good look as I missed the blown one first time round. If none of these work I would suggest you get someone qualified or with know-how to check the earth on the wiring.

Good luck pal.

P.S can someone tell me why I keep getting a message up saying I'm not registered or waiting for moderator?