General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CBR 600 Fx random cutting out..

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 08:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR 600 Fx random cutting out..

Hi, total novice/newby to this malarky, but all for embracing technology and others intelligence/opinions/experience;

Thus,
I have a CBR 600 Fx on a T/99 @24k miles
Pretty standard, plus meta alarm and Hid headlight...

The problem;
I can be out and about on the bike for hours or days and out of the blue it will randomly (whilst idling) cut out, I wont restart and seems like the battery is flat, It will however bump-start immediately and upon riding seem ok, I can get myself home stoping in traffic etc and all seems ok, however once I turn the bike off its random as to if it will or won`t restart..
I usually put the battery on the optimiser and it will start next time..
I have tested the battery, prior to starting and whilst running up to 5000rpm and the volts are showing the battery is charging..
Have replaced battery and rectifyer but alas it still happens,
The annoying thing is the randomness of it !
Any help/advice would be much appreciated...

Old 10-20-2012, 01:27 PM

Hi. Two things may be causing your problem and the first one I suspect is your alarm. The other may be the 'kill switch'. I can't think of anything else and the fact that you have replaced the rectifier and battery rules them out. When you say you checked the battery voltage whilst running, was the voltage at 5000rpm above 13.0 volts or more? If not then it would point to the alternator not charging properly. Keep in touch and let us know if you find any solution, meanwhile watch out for other replies? Welcome to the forum!

Old 10-21-2012, 06:33 AM

Thanks for the `Welcome`and Your quick reply;

We questioned the alarm as a first port of call but it`s been fitted at least 12months prior to any problems and seems to funtion perfectly,
However if all avenues become exhausted it may have to `come off` for investigation...
As regards `kill switch` am I looking along the lines; faulty, knackered or loose wire etc..? Autopsy will soon commence !
Ref` checking the battery whilst running, I was getting 14+ V @ 5000rpm

I will update on any progress or findings when time permits..

Thanks and Safe Riding