General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CBR 600 F3 Quad project.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 07:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR 600 F3 Quad project.

Recently i acquired a 97 cbr600f3, it was wrecked but the frame and engine were still good ( little frame fixing but nothing too serious)

i had thought about rebuilding it, but had a quad frame laying around and figured i would toy around with it, all body work is done now and its time for the wiring.

What can be cut out/grounded to bypass safety switches such as kickstand switch etc ( i have 4 wheels now, no need for such a silly thing lol)

and what is absolutely needed to make it run, i have the full wiring harness and im working on cutting out what is not needed.

Sadly i have not even been able to get it to crank, (idk if i can jump the starter or not, haven't tried.)

any help would be amazing diagrams of trimmed harnesses or anything for that matter, sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Thanks
-Alex

Old 02-01-2012, 07:59 PM

I think my Clymers manual has an F3 wiring diagram in it. I will try to snap a picture tomorrow for you.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:07 PM

I think the only thing you will have to bypass is the kickstand switch. You'll just have to find out if the switch is normally open or closed. Then you will just either tie the wires together or leave it unplugged.

As far as cutting anything else out, there really isn't anything else to cut out. Other than the blinkers, turn signal relay, horn, but just leave them unplugged. There shouldn't be a whole lot to the wiring harness. You will need the battery and the whole charging system. the bike runs off the battery and the battery is re-charged by the engine.

I can't recall if the f3 had a fuel pump or not, but the engine will run on a gravity feed set up. if you have the pump and everything, might as well hook it up and use it if you have the room.

You may have to use the twist throttle and controls from the bike. I don't know if a flapper throttle will have enough pull to fully open the carb rack.

you can jump the starter across the two leads of the solenoid. If the key is on, it should start. However, you really should get a working starter switch instead. Just make sure its in neutral first. Jumping the solenoid will crank over even if the bike is in gear.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:34 PM

i have a whole manual for the bike (in pdf) but was just wondering what i could cut to clear clutter. i have room for everything the bike would normally.

it looks kinda like this but i have alot more done now

Name:  431230_3192120405196_1331460018_3284679_171299582_n.jpg
Views: 4152
Size:  77.9 KB

thats a pic from a couple days ago.

Ill have to follow the diagram, i hate electricity and wires >.> so many wires to follow lol.

and im gonna try to use a thumb throttle, i can make it work some how, but i dont now what the second cable from the carbs is? choke? i dont know if it needs to be used, it looked more like a throttle return then anything.

thanks for the info.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

motorcycles have a push-pull throttle cable setup, so you'll have 2 cables going to the butterfly bar (between carbs 2 &3) and then the other cable that wraps in around rhe right side of the carbs is the choke.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:59 PM

well i got it to crank over but i dont get any fire to the cylinders, ive hooked up every wire i could connect except for head light/tail light/blinker wires which im not worried about. I have one empty socket which i believe is just a flasher. idk if my coils are bad or if i just have them hooked up wrong. Im not too good with following elec. diagrams.

Does anyone happen to have any picture, or know off hand of which plug goes onto which spade?

Theres a black with white stripe white with black strip a yellow with blue and a blue with yellow, and black an blue combination each separated in a separate sleeve from the harness. idk which goes where and such i tried for a while today with no luck.

on another note if i keep the kick stand sensor hooked up, and i touch the kick stand to the frame it sparks? Dont think thats supposed to happen.

And im modifying the thumb throttle to work both the push and pull cables, i was just going to run a single cable but after some research at high Rpms the slides wont close due too air pressure and the spring not being strong enough to return them? so ill see what i can do.

thanks.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:20 AM

This is when taking pictures and videos of you doing work to your machine really helps in the long run. I took countless videos and pictures as I worked on parts of my bike. Too bad I'm having trouble uploading them.

Follow the diagram for plug position. As for the wires...

I ride a '96 F3 and on my bike it goes like this:
On the right I have: From the yellow sleeve: Black on top/front and yellow on bottom/back
On the left I have: From the black sleeve: Black/white on top/front and yellow/black on bottom/back

Old 02-03-2012, 08:57 AM

Just a suggestion, you could possibly modify the kick stand shut off switch to a safety switch. I know some quads have things you put on your wrist so if you get thrown off the machine the engine will kill itself and not go running down the trail or road. Just a suggestion, but when you finish this thing...you better be ready to handle all that power. That thing is going to RIP.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:46 AM

Thanks for the info shiffts really helpful. ill try it as soon as i get home

@cbr i currently ride a TRX700XX and ive grown up on quads most my life so im pretty confident on my riding skills. But i do fear a stuck throttle or a quick jab of the throttle on a whoop to send me flying. All all part of the fun i suppose.

@maine, i was thinking about something along those lines too, im sure im goning to fall off the back in a wheelie many times, and nothing like landing center whoop to buck you off and have the bike hit a tree XD

Quick Reply: CBR 600 F3 Quad project.