General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

carbs & mechanics (rebuild)

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 11:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sprock
other way is to grab a set on Ebay maybe in the 120 to 250 range depending on year
and condition ...... that way you have a practice set and lots of parts
Gonna try that too. Found a 96 1000f engine used on ebay for under $700. thanks

Old 07-22-2011, 09:15 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do I need to order a gasket set, or any special tools, I have the basics.
Maybe bowl gaskets, but I got away with re-using mine twice. Just be careful with them.

For tools, you shouldn't need anything special. Pry bar, screwdrivers, socket set, hex keys, etc.
If you plan on trying to adjust air/fuel, you would need a special "D" socket, but I probably wouldn't mess with it.

Also be careful with the diaphragms up top and the "t" connections between the carbs. The o-rings on the "t"s and the diaphragms generally tend to be somewhat delicate. You won't need to split the carbs into individuals, just clean them all as one unit.

Also keep carb cleaner off of the rubber parts.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
Maybe bowl gaskets, but I got away with re-using mine twice. Just be careful with them.

For tools, you shouldn't need anything special. Pry bar, screwdrivers, socket set, hex keys, etc.
If you plan on trying to adjust air/fuel, you would need a special "D" socket, but I probably wouldn't mess with it.

Also be careful with the diaphragms up top and the "t" connections between the carbs. The o-rings on the "t"s and the diaphragms generally tend to be somewhat delicate. You won't need to split the carbs into individuals, just clean them all as one unit.

Also keep carb cleaner off of the rubber parts.
Thanks (K), as far as the air/fuel goes you're saying wait until after I clean the carbs to see what the minni overhaul results are first, then go from there right? I want to go through the whole bike eventually. Bearings, valves, top to bottom, even paint. I love this bike. The last time I had one was 1987, it was a brand new 87 Cane, and I have'nt ridden since 89. Wife, kids, buisness, ect.. Now I've got the bug, but way worse than before. Since I live in Oahu now, I get to ride year round, but thats about all thats good about living here. Thanks for your help I realy appreciate it.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:43 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, man. My guess is that the Air/fuel mix probably hasn't been messed with. I think the stock setting is 3/4 of a turn out from seated on these. If you just clean the carbs out, I likely wouldn't mess with it.
I would just remove the float bowls and clean them up inside along with everything else you can get to. Then clean the jets, check the float heights, make sure the float needle valves look ok, and check for obvious gunkiness and messed up parts.
Then I'd remove the top covers and pull the diaphragms and needles. Check the diaphragms for holes/tears, then make sure the needles are in good shape. Remember not to get carb cleaner on the rubber parts.
Then put everything back together carefully and make sure everything moves freely/smoothly. Reassemble, reinstall, and spray a little extra carb cleaner down the barrels.

To clean the jets, it helps to take them out and soak them in carb cleaner. Then blow through them with some compressed air.

I'm not exactly sure what symptoms your bike is exhibiting so you should probably start with checking all the vac lines for leaks and sealing everything up. May want to switch out the plugs now, too.