General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

carbs & mechanics (rebuild)

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011 | 07:21 PM
|
Default carbs & mechanics (rebuild)

Took my 1996 CBR1000F to the mechanic today. They say shes only running on two cylinders most of the time, vacume hoses are cracked, intake boots need to be replaced, it needs a full rebuild. Parts & labor is only $910.47. Can anyone tell me what a new set of carbs cost? I think this is a little expensive. I'm not a mechanic, but it looks like I better become one. Help !!!!

Old 07-21-2011 | 09:06 PM
Administrator - Retired

$910 is a lot. I wouldn't think the boots would need replaced on a '96, either. I would try to seal everything first.
As for the carbs... it really depends on you. The hardest part is probably getting them off/on the bike and that's still not too bad. Then you just need to clean them up (internally) and see if there are any parts that need replaced.
Vacuum lines are cheap and you can find them at just about any parts store. Just get the size you need and replace them.

Old 07-21-2011 | 09:19 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012

other way is to grab a set on Ebay maybe in the 120 to 250 range depending on year
and condition ...... that way you have a practice set and lots of parts

Old 07-21-2011 | 10:06 PM
Administrator - Retired

Sucks you're not closer, JC. I'd go over your carbs for a 6-pack of Pabst.

Old 07-21-2011 | 10:17 PM
MZ5

Maybe I'm supposed to assume more than I did. You make it sound like all the ancillary hoses and tubes need to be replaced. Replacing the carbs won't replace any of that. $910 sounds positively exhorbitant, but I suppose I don't know what Honda wants for the set.

Old 07-21-2011 | 10:41 PM
Banned

Took my 1996 CBR1000F to the mechanic today. They say shes only running on two cylinders most of the time, (change the spark plugs) vacume hoses are cracked (hardware stores have a good stock of hoses), intake boots need to be replaced, (as mentioned seal them) it needs a full rebuild. (this means dismantle and squirt lots of carb spray in on and around them and scrub the internals... there are lots of write ups here on carb cleaning) Parts & labor is only $910.47. (Rip Off) Can anyone tell me what a new set of carbs cost? I think this is a little expensive. I'm not a mechanic, but it looks like I better become one. Help !!!!

Old 07-21-2011 | 10:58 PM
Administrator - Retired

Originally Posted by MZ5
Maybe I'm supposed to assume more than I did. You make it sound like all the ancillary hoses and tubes need to be replaced. Replacing the carbs won't replace any of that. $910 sounds positively exhorbitant, but I suppose I don't know what Honda wants for the set.
Honda probably wants more than the bike's worth for a set of new carbs.
But like you said.... it won't replace any of the rubber.
My guess is that the mechanic will do a carb clean, maybe replace some old rubber, and pocket the rest.
I still can't see how the heck the boots and vac lines are trashed unless it's got a pile of miles on it and it's been sitting outside forever. My '95 has good rubber all around.

JC, here are a couple pics to get you started.

Name:  IMG_0311.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  111.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0312.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  111.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0300.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  61.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0308.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  86.3 KB

Here are some pics of the boots, too.
I think a lot of people see little cracks between the boots and the box and assume that things need replaced. It's a crap design on Honda's part, imo, but they all look "funny". The cracks need sealed.

Name:  IMG_0109.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  83.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0107-1.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  73.1 KB

Old 07-21-2011 | 11:08 PM
|

Thank you I am not paying that much $. The first quote was $315, now it's $910 and some change. I will do it my self, and I don't think the vacume lines are cracked. Thats how it is here in honolulu when it comes to auto, and motorcycle mechanics. Thanks everyone, I would listen to you guys before any of the mech. over here.

Old 07-21-2011 | 11:16 PM
|

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
Honda probably wants more than the bike's worth for a set of new carbs.
But like you said.... it won't replace any of the rubber.
My guess is that the mechanic will do a carb clean, maybe replace some old rubber, and pocket the rest.
I still can't see how the heck the boots and vac lines are trashed unless it's got a pile of miles on it and it's been sitting outside forever. My '95 has good rubber all around.

JC, here are a couple pics to get you started.

Here are some pics of the boots, too.
I think a lot of people see little cracks between the boots and the box and assume that things need replaced. It's a crap design on Honda's part, imo, but they all look "funny". The cracks need sealed.

Thank you, thank you, kilgoretrout, and yes, my rubbers are all in good shape, they're full of it. Do I need to order a gasket set, or any special tools, I have the basics.

Old 07-21-2011 | 11:26 PM
|

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
Sucks you're not closer, JC. I'd go over your carbs for a 6-pack of Pabst.
Thank you kilgore, if you ever make it to Honolulu dinner and drinks on me.

Quick Reply: carbs & mechanics (rebuild)