General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbs cleaned, now it's rich

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 02:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbs cleaned, now it's rich

On my '92 CBR 600F2, the carbs have been gone thru by a mechanic and I put new pilot jets in last Sept. Last Fall the bike wouldn't start even after the new jets. With a little help like pouring gas into the carbs, then the throttle held wide open the bike would start. The K&N air filter was cleaned after the pilot jets were installed. What I don't understand now, is the mechanic is telling me that the bike will start, but is running rich. With the air filter off it will start, but put it back on and it is rich. The bike is stock except for the K&N. I have had the bike for 4 years now. I have researched previous posts here regarding K&N filters and haven't come up with anything except K&N's aren't recommended on stock bikes. Can anyone point me to a post or link that could help? Can anyone give me an idea what is going on so when I talk to the mechanic I can understand if he did the right thing or is lost too? By the way, my local motorcycle shop is in the process of moving so I couldn't take it to them and where I work out of town everyone was busy or the bike was too old or not the right brand. The shop that sales the top metic bikes only works on bikes 7 years old or newer, but they let their mechanics work on the side at home. I hooked up with one of the mechanics and he is the one working on my bike the last 3 weeks almost. $25 hour was a bargain I think. We'll see.

Old 03-05-2006, 02:49 PM
Default RE: Carbs cleaned, now it's rich

if it is running rich arter someone was in the carbs i would think of float. but him having to pour fuel down the carbs to get it to start means no fuel and i would think fuel pump. but the k and n should have nothing to do with the bike running rich i am a mechanic for a living and i have found that it makes alot of cars out there fun lean and get trouble codes that are only fixed when the filter comes out. so i wish i could help you out more but i dont have the bike in front of me to tell you exactly good luck

Old 03-05-2006, 05:42 PM

I poured gas in the carbs last Fall not the mechanic. He was able to start it up without the K&N on. From the symtoms I thought of the float level since we did order new needles etc. $300 worth of stuff to go thru the carbs with. I 'll give him another call on Monday since it has been a week since I talked with him. I wanted to hear from others if I could. Maybe he figured it out by now. Anybody else got some ideas? All of this started last Summer when the bike wouldn't run long in the morning if you could start it, but would start up fine at lunch time so I could ride it to work. Since I have had it, it sits over the winter for 3 - 4 months and when I start if up in the spring it takes some cranking to get it going. When it is warm and the bike warmed up after a ride to town, you have to crack the throttle a little when starting it back up. Fuel stabilizer is used in a full tank when parked in Nov or Dec whenever it gets too cold or the dirt road muddy. Thank you.

Old 03-07-2006, 12:12 AM

The mechanic figured it out, I threw him a curve. I pick my bike up after work tomorrow. The filter looked like a K&N, but if I remember right, I never did see K&N on it though. I shouldn't have oiled it up, whoops! He put a stock filter on my bike and it is supposed to run right now, plus he put new plugs in which I had put in last fall also. The plugs aren't like on a snowmobile where you can put some relatively cheap NGK's in and go. I hate springing for new plugs when the others only have a few miles on them. Woohoo! Good to go now.