CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Cleaned the carbs and spits gas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 06:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaned the carbs and spits gas?

i just cleaned my carbs on my 96 f3 and i started it for the first time and it started and idle'd very poorly than stalled out and spit out gas (drained) out of some hose coming off the carb? any ideas of what this could be or whats wrong?

Old 02-04-2010, 06:50 PM

when you "cleaned" them, what exactly did you do and take apart? how many tries of turning the motor did it take for the bike to start up?

Old 02-04-2010, 06:52 PM

it took a like ten seconds to start up for the first time. and i just took off the bowls and blew the jets out with carb cleaner and an air compressor. someone posted a thread for me to follow a couple weeks ago

Old 02-04-2010, 06:55 PM

take the spark plugs out and see what condition they are in... see if they are wet and black (which i imagine they are). if so, take some sand paper and briskly clean them off and wipe them off with a rag. try starting again and see if it idles properly. make sure your choke isnt on.

edit: i found it useful that when you try to start with a rich condition like that, to turn the gas petcock to OFF and let it burn up the fuel in the bowls, let it start to die, then turn it to RUN (on).

Old 02-04-2010, 06:56 PM

alright i can try that....but why does it drain gas out after it stalls out?

Old 02-04-2010, 10:19 PM

it flooded...

Old 02-04-2010, 11:14 PM

got spark to all 4 cylinders and still wont start....and if it does it sputters a ton and stalls out and spits out a ton of gas? any suggestions?

Old 02-05-2010, 07:52 AM

does anyone know the spec putting new jets in? how many turns do i turn in jet on the carbs?

Old 02-05-2010, 08:05 AM

The carbs are overflowing. There is alot more to cleaning the carbs than removing the bowls & spraying carb cleaned in some jets.

Remove the floats & needles. Get some aluminum pollish & some Q-tips. Take some pollish on the Qtip & twist it where the float needle was. Where the fuel comes in. Make sure after you are done that you clean all the pollish out. I cant remember if the floats are adjustable or not on these. I know the F2s are not adjustable.

There can be a build up of old gas over time that can sometimes cause the float to stick open. If this does not work then you prolly need new float needles.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Project96
The carbs are overflowing. There is alot more to cleaning the carbs than removing the bowls & spraying carb cleaned in some jets.

Remove the floats & needles. Get some aluminum pollish & some Q-tips. Take some pollish on the Qtip & twist it where the float needle was. Where the fuel comes in. Make sure after you are done that you clean all the pollish out. I cant remember if the floats are adjustable or not on these. I know the F2s are not adjustable.

There can be a build up of old gas over time that can sometimes cause the float to stick open. If this does not work then you prolly need new float needles.
my floats arent stuck....when i sprayed out my carbs i sprayed everything out and took the jets out too but when i put them back in i just tightened them down all the way without adjusting them.. does this mean i need to adjust my jets or is it still my floats and needles?

Quick Reply: Cleaned the carbs and spits gas?