General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bypassing my coolant reservoir.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 07:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Bypassing my coolant reservoir.

I tried to remove my coolant reservoir today to give it a clean because the level is unreadable and removing the pipes iv snapped one of the nipples >

As far as I know the reservoir isn't a vital component, but how could I bypass it until I get a new one? Shall I just link the two pipes or leave the one from the radiator cap open and blank off the other?

Cheers.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:57 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I wouldn't delete it. You need to be able to let pressure off of the system once the bike heats up, and it needs to be able to suck the coolant back up when you cool off.

The good news is that a gatorade bottle can be a sufficient reservoir.

I even used a beer can for a while (a long while actually)....

Make something work until you get a new one, or use that one.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:04 AM

For now ill just leave the overflow pipe tucked behind my swingarm and order a new one then I guess, as long as I don't loose tons of coolant I can't imagine it will cause any damage. Thanks

Old 05-16-2014, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Joecbr
For now ill just leave the overflow pipe tucked behind my swingarm and order a new one then I guess, as long as I don't loose tons of coolant I can't imagine it will cause any damage. Thanks
absolutely terrible idea....you lose coolant, engine sucks in air to replace lost coolant, bike overheats constantly, bye bye mr. engine.

either rig up a bottle of some sort, or repair the oem reservoir( plastic weld with a soldering iron, epoxy, pig putty etc)

oh, and not to mention having coolant dumped on to your rear tire is a great way to cause you to lowside.

Last edited by sjona2011; 05-16-2014 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by sjona2011

oh, and not to mention having coolant dumped on to your rear tire is a great way to cause you to lowside.
That was my first thought reading OP's response.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 311 Likes on 255 Posts

Not to rain on your parade but but for the most part when it comes to mechanicals, everything the factory puts on your bike is needed on your bike.
It shouldn't be too tough to fix. I guarantee you it will be easier fixing that than it will be to fix whatever will in fact break if decide to run without one.

Old 05-17-2014, 02:50 AM

For now I have just Cut two holes in the top of a red bull bottle and shoved the radiator pipe submerged and left the overflow pipe un-submerged

As far the coolant spilling onto my rear tyre, the overflow for the original tank would spill in the same place anyway hmm...

Rather than getting a bulky original replacement and having to rip my shock out to fit it again I'm thinking about getting one of these?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=170762722382&alt=web

I think it will look a lot neater?

Old 05-17-2014, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Joecbr
For now I have just Cut two holes in the top of a red bull bottle and shoved the radiator pipe submerged and left the overflow pipe un-submerged

As far the coolant spilling onto my rear tyre, the overflow for the original tank would spill in the same place anyway hmm...

Rather than getting a bulky original replacement and having to rip my shock out to fit it again I'm thinking about getting one of these?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...722382&alt=web

I think it will look a lot neater?

That overflow would be rare and shouldn't happen. Basically, you'd have to have "blow-out" happen, from something like a head gasket blowing in order to get coolant back there.

However, expansion and bleeding off would happen the first time you warmed up the bike. So there's a substantial difference.

But the red bull can is a good idea. I basically did the same thing with a beer can and rode like that for 6 months.

The HRC stuff is good. Not sure how or where you'll mount it, but anything will work.