General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying frame sliders

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 12:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Buying frame sliders

I am looking at a set of Freestyle Ingenuity frame sliders for my 2006 cbr600rr. I like how these are alot longer then the other frame sliders I have looked at. I was wondering if this is a good brand to go with and if anyone knows how durable they are...?

Old 01-11-2010, 10:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Longer = easier to break off.

I can't say about that specific brand, but I do know that most of the higher end brands have shorter sliders.

Also, is it 1-piece or do they use a puck system. From everything I've read on here, pucks are the way to go.

Anyway, I would stay away from the long sliders. No point in using them at all if they're just going to break away...

Old 01-12-2010, 06:53 PM

Yeah these are the puck style sliders. Thanks for the info tho. I wasnt sure how well the shorter sliders would actually protect the bike in the event that I do lay the bike down. I was looking at the no cut sliders but I dont think that braket would hold up very well.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adler819
Yeah these are the puck style sliders. Thanks for the info tho. I wasnt sure how well the shorter sliders would actually protect the bike in the event that I do lay the bike down. I was looking at the no cut sliders but I dont think that braket would hold up very well.
very accurate observation!!!

Old 01-13-2010, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by adler819
Yea the no-cuts are a big no-no. I don't run sliders, so all of my info is anecdotal... but I always hear people talk about the risk of longer sliders breaking off. Of course if that happens, they're no good to you at all.

Do some general searches on here... the topic comes up fairly regularly and I'm sure you'll find some good info to help your decision.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:54 PM

i am looking to get some no cuts for the same bike a 2006 cbr 600. Looking at the voertex ones. Does anyone have any picutres of what it looks like witrh the fairings cut. after all i have no clue where even they are suppose to be located on my bike. Pic would be awsome.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:53 PM

Here's a cut fairing, on an '03 600RR. Track plastics, but you'll get the idea and see where the slider goes.

My observations over the years:

1. No cuts = bad. They snap off.
2. Long ones = bad. They also snap, or dig into the ground and flip you.
3. Solid, removable pucks = great. Woodcraft, Vortex FTW.

Remember, they are FRAME SLIDERS, not "fairing protectors" (but they tend to do that also).

Old 05-22-2010, 08:56 PM

No cut sliders will absolutely break i have seen it with my own eyes, if you have to cut a small hole in your plastic for it and you use a dremel tool and make it look nice you will have no problems. most sliders on the market today will have instructions on installation and sometimes they will have paper templates to get you right on the hole. They will usually mount up to your front engine mount points. I have puck style on my bike and i tipped it over just the other day and the short puck is deffinatly the way to go not a single piece was damaged. I guess thats what i get for doing a brake slide in a sandy parking lot! believe me i would rather cut a small hole in my plastic than buy a new one or spend a month getting one on e-bay. That little slider saved me about $600. Just be sure when you start with the hole you start small and keep shaving until you get it where you want it or it will look like crap. just take your time and you'll be fine. Also remember sliders arent going to do much in high speed scenarios but under 30mph they are a life saver for your ride!