General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake light not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 03:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake light not working

i searched the forum but didn't find anything of use before my computer froze.here's my problem,i've got running lights but no brake light on either front or back brake.i've checked and changed the fuses by the headlight and changed both bulbs.this is on my 96 cbr 900rr fireblade.and under the passenger seat where you can access the bulbs and wires there is on wire not hooked up and it looks like the same color as one on the bulb assembly,like a dark red or a brown color.the bulbs have 3 wires off of them,green,green with stripe,and this reddish brown color wire.if anyone might give me a little insight as to where to look for this mystery wires mate that would be great,or if anyone knows where i could view a diagram to figure out what that wire does.thanks

Old 03-06-2009, 04:15 PM

Is your plate light still there?

I would guess your rear flap and rear license plate light are removed. if they are, that wire is probably the license plate light wire. Hopefully if it is, its not just a bare wire. It would be a bad thing if that wire grounded out.

Your 3 wires are brake, running light, and ground. If Im not mistaken, the ground is green and white, the running lights are redish.brown, and the brake light is green.

If you dont have a volt meter, it would be a good idea to buy one. You can get a decent digital for under 25 bucks. then you can start measuring your volts and different spots once you start to follow your wiring harness from the lights back into the main harness. You may just have something unplugged or corroded.

I would guess you dont have power to either one of your brake switches. Follow that wire back to your fuse block. Check to make sure your fuse blocks wire didnt come loose. Pull your fuse out and make sure your wire is still seated in the back of the block. they can sometimes work loose.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:17 PM

sorry new to forums. how do i post a thread? or ask a question to the comm.?

Old 03-06-2009, 06:22 PM

when i check the fuse box is there more than the one by the throttle?i checked the fuses ther and changed them but didn't come up with any new development.is there another set of fuses by the battery and should i check there?up on the handbrake the only thing i see coming out of the brake is some wires that hook around into the killswitch and starter thing.sorry i don't know the terms for these things,this is my first bike.and also the plate light is what i think that is since the plate holder has been mmoved and there's no light hooked up to it anymore.