General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown headlight

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 10:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown headlight

Hey everyone, my headllight stopped working on my 94 600f2.
Can anyone tell me if it could be a fuse, a relay, or just the bulb itself??
The low and hi beams both dont work and the Blue HI-beam indicator light stays on.
Please Help!

Thanx

Old 09-01-2010, 12:32 PM

Could be anything, but I seem to remember a post on here where the solution turned out to be a bit more obscure.

It was a broken solder connection inside the throttle assembly!

It then turned out that, while obscure, this fault was by no means uncommon, which was attested by several contributors who posted to say that the same thing had happened to them.

You may have no other problem than a blown bulb, but you never know, so bear this one in mind.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:00 PM

pull the bulb and check to see if its blown that would be the first step after that check the fuses/relay and if thats not it the i would look at the hi low beam selection switch on the left handlebar could have a bad switch or just a corroded connection.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

What Soulman is refering to is the Starter Switch. The power for the headlights goes through this switch. The headlights get turned off when the starter button is pressed so that there is more power available to the starter. Most of the time when your bulb burns out, it's either High or Low beam, but not usually both at the same time. It could be an issue with your Dimmer Switch since power naturally goes through that switch before going to the headlight. As I'm writing this I'm leaning more to the Dimmer Switch because the Blue High Beam Indicator is lit. This can only be lit if power is coming from the dimmer switch. Power is provided to the High Beam at the same time as the Indicator bulb.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:03 AM
Default Blown headlight

Hey guys thanx for some of the info. but i now realize that it is not the bulb..the headlight started working when i started to mess with the bulb housing...i think maybe something is loose?? So now the headlight work sometimes and sometimes not? Any suggestions??

Old 09-02-2010, 10:21 AM

It almost sounds too obvious to say "loose connection" but you can bet that's what it is.

BUT (and it's a big BUT) finding it is the tricky part.

Start right at the bulb and its socket. Is the bulb properly installed? How does the wiring to the bulb connector look? etc., etc. and work your way back.

And it could STILL be the connection I spoke of inside the starter housing up by the throttle. Have you opened that to have a look?

Old 09-03-2010, 09:30 AM
Default Blown headlight

Hey, where is that switch located and how do i take it apart?

Old 09-04-2010, 02:52 AM

If you don't already own the full manual for your bike (as opposed to the owner's handbook) you can buy one, new or used, on amazon.com or ebay.
Failing that, you can dowload a copy free. There are links to that download elsewhere on this site, or you can do a search for cbr600f2 manual and find the link that way.
In any event, the "full" or "workshop" manual is a must-have for any owner of any bike.
Now I assume you have previously started the motor on your bike. Well to do that you had to use your right thumb to press a button on the handlebars up by the twistgrip. The twistgrip is a.k.a. (Also Known As) the throttle.
Right?
O.K., well that button is in a moulding (or housing) retained there by a couple of screws. Remove those and look inside for a wire that is hanging on by a thread, or broken.