General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bleeding Front Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 07:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bleeding Front Brakes

03 CBR 600 F4i - I recently had to replace my front master cylinder, after i installed it and tried to bleed the front brakes i noiced it pumped up fine but when the bike is moved ahead or back a few feet then the lever goes to the handle bar. if i pump it while moving the bike ahead or back the front brakes gradually come back to good. If i stop pumping the brake and keep moving the bike then the same thing happens - no front brakes again - until i start pumping the lever. I clamped of each of the hoses one at a time to see if there was a problem with a caliper and i noticed that when the left line is kinked off the brakes are fine when moving the bike. soon as i let fluid to the left caliper - no front brakes again. I replaced the left front caliper figuring this was the problem and its still like it, any ideas. Does this sound like an air problem? Maybe there is air in the caliper? Please help!!!!!!! Sorry for the long first post.

Old 04-18-2005, 07:41 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Bleeding Front Brakes

Sounds like you have air in the system. Most car parts stores carry a brake bleeder (vacuum pump basically) that makes getting all the air out by yourself a lot easier. Why I think it's air and not a master cylinder or caliper problem is because if you have a little air in the system (prolly the left side from your post) then you'll have to pump it up to get pressure. Clamp off the side with the bubble and you bypass the bubble and brakes work normally. I believe if you find that last pesky air bubble your brakes will work fine.

Old 04-18-2005, 08:29 PM

Is there any certain sequence for bleeding the front brakes? Is there a website with detailed instructions?

Old 04-19-2005, 04:34 AM

An excellent investment are Speed Bleeders - basically a check ball in the valve allow air/fluids to travel in one direction.

http://www.speedbleeder.com/

If your lever has an adjustment dial, turn its resistance (span) higher.

The Speed Bleeder in conjunction with a vacuum pump will solve your dilemma in a matter of minutes.

Cheers

Old 04-22-2005, 09:48 PM

ORIGINAL: 03600F4i

Is there any certain sequence for bleeding the front brakes? Is there a website with detailed instructions?
The last time I changed my brake fluid for the front brakes:

1)Open the filler cap.
2)Hook up a rubber hose that goes from the bleed valve to a container.
3)Open the bleed valve.
4)Squeez the front brake---I used a rubber band to hold the lever back on the handle bar.
5)Close the valve.
6)Remove the rubber band that was holding the lever back.
7)Add brake fluid if it needed it in the reservoir (you don't want it to suck air down into the brake hoses, so keep fluid in the resorvoir).
8)Repeat steps 3 through 7 until the it becomes appearant that the old fluid is out of the system.
9)Repeat steps 3 through 8 for the other side. You only do one side at a time.
10)Fill as required.
11)Put the filler cap on & the end.

btw, That is a good tip, Whippet Goode
I just check out that site you mentioned. They only go for $7.00