General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bike wont start , no spark

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 08:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bike wont start , no spark

hello everyone ,
ok so im new to this site and the whole forum thing in general . so what really brings me to site is because after parking my cbr in september i went to start it this afternoon and the battery was dead , so like a impatient bone head that i am i hooked up the battery charger on boost ! yea so needless to say the bike didnt start and now it i have no spark . so i checked all the fuses and there all fine , so now im off to checking the stator . i bought the book on the bike and it told me to check the resistance on the stator with a multimeter . but i can not figure out what the resistance should be or how to do it . so if anyone has anyone has any pointers or help hints to get the bike up and running that would be really appericated . thanks in advance

Old 02-10-2009, 06:15 AM

Is your kill switch in the off position? I've seen it happen many times, so thats why I ask.

I would guess you have another issue other than your stator if you dont have any spark.

But, you have 3 wires coming from your stator. You need measure in ohm's the resistance across all 3 leads, we'll just call them 1,2,3. Unplug your stator. There will be a set of wires coming from the left side of your engine cover, follow these wires and unplug them. With your multimeter, ( your going to need a digital one for accuracy). Measure across 1 and 2, 1 and 3, 2 and 3. You should have all the resistances close to the same. Im not sure what the resistance is, but your book should say. It will probably be somewhere around .5 across all leads. If there is one that is way different, say 0 or over 1.0, then you probably have an issue. But you will have to find out exactly what the resistance is suppose to be for you bike. But if they are all close to the same, you probably dont have any issues with your stator.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not gonna be your stator if you have no spark. If you hooked a battery charger up on boost you hit a 10amp system with 75-200amps. You could have fried a number of things but if you have a charged battery you will have spark even with a bad stator. You most likely have a bad CDI now or possible pulse sensor which is what tells the bike to fire.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:47 AM

thanks for the help guys ! so i started out looking at the book and could not find the resistance at first so i called the help line in the book and spoke to a guy and he told me to first check the battery , because if you battery is bad and your using a charger to turn the bike over you WILL NOT get any spark no matter what . so now im off to get the battery today and hope its only that . with some luck bike should be up and running this afternoon . i also had another question and was wondering if anyone was familiar with 520 conversions ? i have it done on my bike , im -1 in the front and +3 in the back with the r&k chain . i clean the chain and use chain wax every couple of rides and for some reason i only get a summer out of the set , mainly the back sprocket ? any ideas on this and what i can do to help it . will i notice a difference if i go back to the stock size setup and keep the same size spockets ? thanks for the info again

Old 02-13-2009, 07:07 AM

How many miles are you putting on in a summer? If your getting 15,000 miles, then thats about the limit your going to get with that set up.

Also, what size is your bike? I would suggest sticking with stock size chains if you are running a liter bike. Its my own personal prefference, some people have good luck with a 520 on them. I personally dont, especially with an aluminum rear sprocket. A 530 will offer more surface area for the rollers to rest on.

My guess is you may not have the chain adjusted properly. Too tight, and it will eat away at your sprocket all the time. Too loose, and it will jerk into the sprocket every time you give it gas. If your noticing a rolling of the teeth, then it is more than likely too loose. Also, if your rear wheel is out of alignment, it will wear the rear sprocket.

the guy you talked too is correct to a point about the battery. If your battery is completely dead, then yes, it wont get any spark. But, if you have enough charge to turn the bike over, it should also have enough charge to fire the plugs. Unless it turns over very slowly. If the engine is cranking over a normal fast pace, then it should fire. Unless like already mentioned, you could have fried something within the electrical components from charging it.

I would check all of your fuses. If you did overcharge it, hopefully you just popped a fuse.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:55 PM

thanks for the info , the bike is a 600 and i put roughly around 7k maybe a little more . the bike has been dropped probally 7 or 8 and i think the swing arm might be alittle tweeked . the only reason i have stayed with the 520 conversion because ive been told that its a lighter set up and would give better acceleration . now for it starting i did put the new battery in it and it did have spark but i did not get it to fire yet , i did put a new fuel filter on and maybe i did let the system prime enough so i guess ill have to try and go throught the book this week and figure out whats going on . thanks all you info has been a big help

Old 02-16-2009, 12:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure its spark that you're not getting? It could be fuel that you're not getting. Is it an F4i, if so your FPR could be shot (Fuel Pressure Regulator). Have you pulled the plugs and looked at them, they could be fouled, might be a good idea to replace them anywhos, how long has it been? Search the site for a how-to, to check the FPR...As for the chain, the weight has nothing to do with "better acceleration", the gear ratio determines that (-1, +3). Theoretically it being lighter creates less reciprocating mass in turn giving you more speed, but you will NEVER notice any difference between the 520 and the stock 525 set-up, unless you are trying to shave tenths of a second off your lap time. Next time you replace the chain and sprockets, try to find a kit with a steel rear sprocket, and if you think the swinger is bent then replace it, you can get one for less than 50 bucks on eBay. And when you replace any sprocket or chain it is HIGHLY recomended that you replace BOTH sprockets AND the chain at the same time. If you put a new sprocket on with an old worn chain then it will GREATLY reduce the life span of the new sprocket, and vice-a-versa (old sprocket, new chain). Good Luck bro.