CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

bike wont start , no spark

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 07:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bike wont start , no spark

hello everyone ,
ok so im new to this site and the whole forum thing in general . so what really brings me to site is because after parking my cbr in september i went to start it this afternoon and the battery was dead , so like a impatient bone head that i am i hooked up the battery charger on boost ! yea so needless to say the bike didnt start and now it has no spark . so i checked all the fuses and there all fine , so now im off to checking the stator . i bought the book on the bike and it told me to check the resistance on the stator with a multimeter . but i can not figure out what the resistance should be or how to do it . so if anyone has any has any pointers or help hints to get the bike up and running that would be really appericated . thanks in advance

Old 02-10-2009, 08:22 AM

Hey, if you have an e-mail I can e-mail you the PDF of the Honda service manual, it gives you the specs for checking everything.

For the stator, it functions as an alternator for your bike, bringing charge up an maintaining it while the bike runs. For checking the resistance, if the stator is shot, it should typically have no resistance, which will show up on the multimeter as 0 ohms. (When you crank the bike over). Don't quote me on it, but if I remember correctly thats how it goes.

Peace

Old 02-11-2009, 06:14 AM
Default thanks for the help

hey man thanks for the info , i went out yesterday and bought the service manual . and i was also told if the battery is no good that can cause the bike to have no spark even when getting jumped by the battery charger . so im off to get a new battery today and see what happends . i noticed in your info that you have the 520 conversion on your bike , i too have the same set up made by vortex and it seems i only get one summer out of the set even with cleaning the chain and using chain wax after every couple rides . any ideas why this happends or is this normal ?

Old 02-12-2009, 11:04 AM

Well let me start with a couple of questions for you about the chain and sprocket set up. First, what brand chain, type of chain (O-ring I would assume), master link or endless, increase or decrease in front/rear sprocket size from OEM, how many miles did you ride with the set, how often do you lube the chain, do you use spray/wax/oil for lubrication, what brand, etc...

Mine has lasted for almost 9000 miles now with little wear. I would think that you should be able to get a little more out of it.... I would believe that the rear axel is perpendicular to the swing arm, and the adjusting screws are properly aligned from side to side. Also do you have any other power modifications to the bike. The chain issue could be a number of things...

Peace.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:09 PM

the chain is a r&k oring chain with a mastterlink and the sprockets are made by vortex , -1 in the front +3 in the back . i use chain wax and cleaner every couple or rides and try to keep it adjusted with the gauges in the swing arm but ive been told there is a tool to adjust it better . the bike have been dropped and i think maybe the swing arm could be tweeked a little .
as for power mods it only has the k&n filter , its jetted and has a hindle slip on . the only thing out of the norm is i mostly run cam 2 race fuel in it . well thanks again for your input . i look forward to your reply

Old 02-16-2009, 04:08 PM

Well I wouldnt worry too much about the power modifications, I don't think you have added enough where the chain would be stressed at 520...

If you are keeping the chain lubed that much, and keeping it adjusted, I think you are ok (unless the chain is too tight...).

The fact that the bike is lowered might have a bit to do with it. Lowering the rear swing doesn't neccessarly adjust the chain off original axis as it is still straight, just tweaked a bit to adjust how one sprocket is in relation to the other (I think the front sprocket would be a bit lower than it would sit OEM....)

The only thing is if the swing arm is tweaked a bit, typically then the bike will make a clicking noise due to a kink in the chain. You would notice that and the bike would have a bit of a shake typically...

The only other possibility would be that the sprockets were improperly packaged, thus maybe a different size sprocket was packaged in the kit (I assume you bought it as a complete kit). I don't know vortex all that well, but most sprockets have size and tooth #'s casted into them...

Without getting my hands on the bike, these are just ideas... I wish I had more for ya, but sometimes its hard to try to diagnose over the internet...

Good luck, and any thing else, just let me know.

Peace.