General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike will not start NEED HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 07:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike will not start NEED HELP!!!

have a 2007 600rr and can't find the problem. I charged my battery and when I turn the power on the bike goes dead and it's like there is no power getting to the bike but when the key is off the clock is still on.

Last edited by armyman2988; 06-02-2010 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 06-02-2010, 08:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you mean "when you turn the power on", turn the key? flip the kill/run switch? or hit the starter button? When you say "goes dead" Do the headlights come on at all, or gauges? Have you checked any fuses? You didn't by chance charge the battery while it was still hooked up to the bike? Hope you didn't try to jump start the bike with a running car. You need to give more detailed info. It could be anything, from a loose connection, to a bad diode, to a hydrolocked motor, and plenty more. Most of which is an easy fix, it's just a matter of figuring out what to fix.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:27 AM
BZL

If you did do everything right accord to what the previous poster said then ya, check your major connectors, grounds, and main relays fused + fuses in the fuse box. good luck.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:41 AM

Ya we dis try to jump it with a running car. It would run while hooked up and as soon as we pulled off 1 of the conn tors it would die. And when I turn the key on the bike has no power. I looked at the fuses and they all look fine and I did take the battery off the bike to charge it. None of the gauges come on and neither do the lights

Old 06-02-2010, 01:52 PM

you should not jump a bike with a running car because the current can be too strong for the battery tohandle. it sounds like your battery is compltely dead. try to trickle charge it with a battery tender,if that doesnt work its time for a new battery

Old 06-02-2010, 04:06 PM

time for a new battery
I would say this. You have to remember, that a bike is not like a car when it comes to the charging system. Bikes run directly off the battery and thier charging systems are not strong enough to keep the bike running like a car can. You disconnect a battery from a running bike, it will die. which is what you are doing when disconnect the car from the bike, since the bikes battery is toasted. It doesnt take much juice to run a clock. The battery could have all but one cell dead and still have enough power to run the clock... heck, a potato has enough juice to run a clock.

and as said, never jump a bike with a running car. You could easily ruin your charging system on your bike. They are totally different types of systems. YOu are looking at a few amp charging system on your bike, with a car, its anwhere from 80-120 amps.

edit: I see you removed the battery for the charging, but as already said by skoob, it can ruin your bike battery. In fact, I would guess you now have shorted cells from the charge from the car. Take the battery and have it load tested. A lot of autoparts stores can do it for you. I'm pretty sure Autozone will for free, and Im sure others as well. they can tell you if the battery is shorted, dead cells, or dry, or still good.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:31 PM

you should probably take your bike to get the voltage regulator checked. when i bought my first bike the guy charged the battery with a running car and it was fine for a couple days then it died. i got a new battery and that didn't fix it and then i brought it to the shop up the street. he said it was my voltage regulator and it was less than $50. good luck.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^Yup thats what happens when you jump start a bike with a running auto. You can also fry the stator, and battery as Squid said. If you know anyone else with a bike, borrow their battery (a known good one) and see if thats your prob. If not you need to break out the multi meter and do some trouble shooting. (not the kind of trouble you are shooting over seas.)