General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike security?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 08:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bike security?

Right now, she's not much to look at. I figure the ugly yellow rattlecan job will persuade most bike thieves to take the gixxer down the block. But eventually my 95 F3 will be something worth a 2nd look. I care less about the cash than the emotional investment I'm already putting into the bike (never ridden).

I'd prefer to avoid carting 50lb chains with me everywhere. What do people recommend as a reasonably priced means to secure the bike. Concerns are
  1. Portability: At home, there's a 8' chain link fence with razorwire watching the bike. I more concerned with how to keep her in one place when I hop up to N. Philly to visit friends
  2. Practicality: As said, 50lb chains requiring a convenient parking spot near a light pole aren't practical.
  3. Safety: I think the previous owner said she hung a u-lock from the front forks. Um... Well really no words. I don't want anything that can potentially interfere with the safe operation of the bike. Especially if ridden even mildly aggressive
  4. Ease of installation: I'd prefer any modifications necessary to install / use to be done by myself with standard shop tools. Spray painting is ambitious enough for me this year. I'll look at arc welding next year
  5. Actual security: I know of the steering lock. Just not too confident of it defeating brute force. And yes, in parts of Philly guys can spend time manhandling a bike with nary a care from passers.
So any suggestions, recommendations or criticism?

Old 07-23-2009, 03:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a xena disc lock it is very loud and It works ok. you can break them if you try hard enough but it is loud while anyone is messing with it. It saved my F4i twice while I was living in an apartment.

Old 07-23-2009, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Todd84
I have a xena disc lock it is very loud and It works ok. you can break them if you try hard enough but it is loud while anyone is messing with it. It saved my F4i twice while I was living in an apartment.
Found this website with alarm reviews
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-alarms/

So far the Cyclone 866F and the Xena XN15. Might end up getting both for a layered system. The Xena looks the easiest solution and probably the cheapest. The Cyclone does have a "cool factor" in its plus column (and I definately need to rerig the wire harness anyways). Haven't made up my mind yet as because of the rain here, she's probably a week away from riding atm.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:21 AM
Default Follow up

I ordered the Cyclone 866F. It seems the easiest to install myself, provides the options I'm looking for and seems to require the least amount of space in my bike. Between the steering lock and this, I will feel secure.

The steering lock will prevent a simple rolloff. And breaking the steering lock forcibly should trigger the shock sensor in the alarm. Now against a professional thief, neither will be sufficient. But there are plenty of Harleys and gixxers that should appeal more than a 95 CBR to the professional.

Especially since both tend to be owned by people relying on insurance for protection