F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Bike Security...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 11:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike Security...

So I just finished my bike and Im taking it to its first show in about 2 weeks. Its down at a beach few hours from me. My question is, whats the best type of security for it being parked outside a hotel?

Old 02-13-2010, 11:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a 1st floor room and park it at the end of the bed

Old 02-13-2010, 11:27 PM

Lol I would but somehow I dont see that going over so well... Ive seen these Brake Disc locks with a siren.... any good?

Old 02-13-2010, 11:47 PM

Ehh... I wasn't joking:
https://cbrforum.com/forum/showpost....29&postcount=5

You're taking your bike to a show? If it's a remotely publicized show, the bike thieves will be out looking for people that brought their bikes to go to the show. An alarm depends on 2 things:
  • Someone hearing it
  • Someone giving enough of a shyte to do something about it quickly

If they come prepared, they can easily pick up the bike and have it in the back of a truck in a couple minutes. The only way to truly secure it is to lock the frame to an immovable object with an incredibly tough chain.

Or to secure it in your room. I'd opt for the room and just eat the rug cleaning fee

Old 02-14-2010, 12:02 AM

Oh ****, thats awesome. My friend got the room already so I dont know what floor its on. I am planning on chaining the bike through the wheels and frame to the tow hook on my friends car. Will be covered, and Im thinking maybe a disc lock with an alarm. If room is 1st floor, then Ill def ride it in.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:12 AM

And the bike makes a great barrier against room invasions! Once in, back it up against the door and ain't nobody coming in till morning

Old 02-14-2010, 11:45 AM
July 2008 ROTM

I would get a good chain, and try to hide it as much as possible. Behind cars, around the building, etc. Somewhere where people would have to go looking for it. And then just chain it to something solid that isn't gonna move. Should be okay.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:21 PM

Out of sight, out of mind. Thieves depend a lot on opportunity and remaining inconspicuous.

It'd just make the thief's job easier, giving him more opportunity to work on stealing the bike without being noticed, if it's hidden.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:53 PM

i took my 954 into my hotel room that was on the first floor...they never knew it was in there i just made sure the tires were clean...it would be worth the fee if you get caught!

Old 02-15-2010, 01:28 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep, park inside motel if possible. If you have to park outside, try to park as close as possible to the main entrance...even on the sidewalk out front if you can. The closer to the front door & surveillance cameras, the better. Do not try to "hide" your bike, that just helps the thieves. Too, ask the motel mgr to have security (if they have it) to keep an eye on it. Often times, just being polite to the motel staff when you check in - describing your theft worries, they'll keep a better eye on it.

This past summer, my RC51 was nearly stolen from a busy Costco parking lot. I had to park far out in the lot btwn two big suvs. A van-load of illegal aliens pulled up behind my RC51 such that, the van effectively closed up the block btwn the two suvs & the van, enclosing my RC51 in a vehicle square...nobody could really see what was going on. They had their van doors open w/ 6 people around my bike starting to move it to the open doors of the van when I came walking out. I realized what was going on & began raising all manner of hell. Grabbed my cell phone & was calling the Sheriff when they realized was the owner, & they burned rubber escaping. Thankfully, my RC was ok sans a couple of minor scratches. Many of these van-type motorcycle theives have this method down to a fine art...& can steal a bike, stick it in their van, & be gone in less than a minute.

Chains are NO barrier to theft. I did have a bike stolen that had a BIG chain wrapped thru it to an apt bldg steel frame pole. My bedroom was on the other side of the wall & never heard a single thing when they took it. I came out the next morning to get on the bike & it was gone. :O Never saw it again.

That being said, sometimes a *deterrent* is enough for a thief to move on to the next bike. So, if you want to use a chain/cable/alarm/etc, then by all means - do. Just be aware that its not a sure thing. If you can afford it, a lojack is a good idea.

Unfortunately, motorcycle theft is rampant & is part of why our insurance rates are so expensive.

Quick Reply: Bike Security...