General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike problems [Please Help!!!]

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 01:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Bike problems [Please Help!!!]

Alright, I have a 1998 CBR F3 Smokin Joe Edition. Right now it is not starting, it will just sit there and keep turning over. It was starting before I was messing with it, but it sounded like a Harley.

Lately my bike has been perfectly fine until I have been noticing when I start it up the start would be a little weak and not power up as loud and powerful as it normally does. The shifting has been getting weaker when I shift also, like normally I would have to use a little more *umph* to get into the gear, but it got a lot smoother and easier. Also around the time all the other stuff getting weaker started to happen, my bike wouldn't start and the lights wouldn't turn on unless if i jiggled my handlebars back and forth, it only died on my one time because of that problem, but did it before I tried to start it like 5 times.

***Things I have tried:
Changed the spark plugs
Cleaned the air filter
Put seafoam in the gas

Any other ideas what to check out to try and get my baby back up and running? ANy help would be appreciated..

Thanks so much,
Dalton

Attached Thumbnails Bike problems [Please Help!!!]-hpim0396.jpg   Bike problems [Please Help!!!]-hpim0393.jpg   Bike problems [Please Help!!!]-hpim0394.jpg  
Old 06-10-2009, 02:08 PM

Oh yea also to note, when it did start up it would backfire and pop really loud.

Old 06-10-2009, 02:34 PM

Well you could check for loose or disconnected connectors. It's hard to say without troubleshooting. Need to check for spark and fuel. Backfiring points to timing issues. whether it's valve or ignition. (Hope for ignition). Valve timing depends on the cam chain being properly tensioned and the cam gears lined up correctly according to crank position. Ignition timing depends on a properly aligned and working timing rotor / pulse generator combo and a working ICM. For a problem that just pops up like this, my first guess is that it is ignition related. However you should check and make sure that you have good fuel delivery. After cranking for a while. Pull the plugs out and check if they are wet or not.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:05 PM

Alright, we now got it to be able to run. But it still sounds like a Harley, sounds deeper than it should.

We checked the compression and the compression is fine. I dont think it has to do anything with the spark plugs or anything.

One thing I did notice is that when I rev it up the lights will flicker pretty bad...

Anything you think it could be or what would your next step be?

Old 06-10-2009, 07:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked the regulator. Could be the bike is just running on battery power.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:06 PM

I replaced that like 3 weeks ago. I don't think its that because it starts up but just sounds and runs horrible..

Old 06-13-2009, 11:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

quote:"Alright, I have a 1998 CBR F3 Smokin Joe Edition. Right now it is not starting, it will just sit there and keep turning over. It was starting before I was messing with it, but it sounded like a Harley."
1.what were you doing to it before?

clean your carbs out!if it was backfiring,more than likely fuel going somewhere it shouldn't,float could be stuck.who knows.

Old 06-13-2009, 04:10 PM

clean the carbs, get a carb sync. and your problem will be fixed.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:05 PM

If the lights are DIMMING when the RPMs go up, that seems to imply an alternator problem. I'm pretty weak on bike electronics, but if other sensors are running off that alternator and not getting proper voltages, they could be sending all kinds of bad values to the comp (sorry, I'm a car guy).

I'm not saying the alternator itself is necessarily bad, but it sounds like it's not turning as fast as it should, if at all. This could still just be a result of what's wrong with the engine, not a cause.

Clean your carbs, soak your jets, poke the floats, etc etc etc.