CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

New Bike New Problems lol

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 08:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Bike New Problems lol

Hi one and all

Am new to the forums having just picked up a CBR600F 89/90 tonight. The bike is in a bit of a shabby state and needs some attention to the plastics, completely standard apart from a motad? S/S exhaust.

I'm more worried about the engines to be honest, its on 41000miles and I have no service history, its been stood up for a while too.On the ride home it was missing at around 6-7k revs and althought after giving it some stick it did open out and start running a lot better it still wasnt quite right.

Obviously the first order is to give it a good service but bikes arent really my strong point, which is where I need help

Am going to go out and check the brake pads, chain and sprockets tomorrow, but I'm guessing they are passable as its not long passed its MOT test

I'm guesing oil and filter, air filter, plugs, leads?, wondering if there are anymore serviceitems to add to my shopping list??

Also are there any other little bits like gaskets I'm gonna need when I start taking things appart??

any common faults or ****les to look for?

Many thanks in advance

Dave

Old 10-28-2008, 08:40 PM
Default RE: New Bike New Problems lol

you need a special spark plug socket. 18mm deep well thin wall socket

Old 10-28-2008, 08:40 PM

regulator/rectifiers commonly go bad on the earlier model CBRs. beyond that, download the service manual, do your valve clearance adjustment, fresh fuel filter, clean the carbs.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:56 PM

Many thanks guys, will add the spark plug socket and fuel filter to the list.

Was going run some red-x (petrol additive) through with a tank of juice as it cleans carbs and valves pretty well. Would like to take them appart to clean them but think that might be pushing my luck to get it all back together right. [&o]- for the moment

Also where can I download a copy of the service manual?

Many thanks again,its goodto find a nice helpfull community of CBRowners out there

Old 10-28-2008, 09:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Budji

Also where can I download a copy of the service manual?

Yes!
http://www.cbrextreme.com/downloads/...manual-54.html

Old 10-29-2008, 05:44 AM

Sweet will get it downloaded and saved, thanks guys

Looking at the tyres this morning and i appears I'm running a 110 on the front and a 160 on the back, both bridgestone battleaxe, from reading other threads on here I've seen the standard tyre is only a 130, guessing this is affecting the handling as it seems quite hard to lean it into corners.

Whats the best size combo for the tyres, ie how wide can I go on the standard wheels and still keep the handling?? the front needs replacing anyway so I could always do the both at the same time, need to keep the maximum amount of contact with the road as it does nowt but rain and freeze here in england at the moment!!

Old 10-29-2008, 02:07 PM

Personally, I would not try to start a bike that's been stood for more than 12 months without a bit of preparation work first. I brought mine after it had been stood for years in a garage. I did the plugs, oil, flushed the tank, and put in new petrol, air & oil filter. I serviced the carbs. Problem with standing is they get contaminated by old petrol. It leaves a varnish type mess on all the parts. If you can bring yourself to do it. Service them. You would be best working out what model you have before you set any float heights, as there are differences in the carbs, jet size, and general voodoetc. This is due to air laws in California.Getting the carbs off the first timein a while can be a bit of a pain. Try rocking them to get them free. Also fitting them can be hard due to old rubbers. They can become hard, and brittle. Top tip. Heat them up with a heat gun when you are about to fit them.Makes the rubber go soft.Not too hot though, just get them warm. Use carb cleaner to clean the carbs. Although avoid contact with rubber washers etc, as it tends to make a mess of plastic and rubber. New fork oil is a good one. Mine was so old that it was like toilet water. gl.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:28 PM

http://www.cbrextreme.com/downloads/...manual-54.html

Great post that one. Have a technical joke on me for that:

A guy walks into a bar with his pet monkey.
He orders a drink and while he's drinking, the monkey jumps all around the place.
He grabs some olives from the bar and eats them, then grabs some sliced limes and eats them, then jumps onto the pool table, grabs one of the billiard *****, sticks it in his mouth, and to everyone's amazement, swallows it whole.
The bartender screams at the guy, "Did you see what your monkey just did?"
The guy says "No, what?"
The bartender screams "He just ate the cue ball off my pool table-whole!"
"Yeah, that doesn't surprise me," replied the guy, "he eats everything in sight, the cheeky little beggar. Sorry. I'll pay for the cue ball and stuff."
He finishes his drink, pays his bill, pays for the stuff the monkey ate, then leaves.
Two weeks later he's in the bar again, and has his monkey with him.
He orders a drink and the monkey starts running around the bar again.
While the man is finishing his drink, the monkey finds a maraschino cherry on the bar.
He grabs it, sticks it up his bum, pulls it out, and eats it.
Then the monkey finds a peanut, and again sticks it up his bum, pulls it out, and eats it.
The bartender is disgusted. "Did you see what your monkey did now?" he asks.
"No, what?" replies the guy.
"Well, he stuck a maraschino cherry and a peanut up his bum, pulled them out, and ate them!" said the bartender.
"Yeah, that doesn't surprise me," replied the guy.
"He still eats everything in sight, but ever since he had to pass that cue ball, he measures everything first."

Old 10-29-2008, 04:58 PM

Cheers for the info stan and PMSL at the joke

The bike was MOT tested 3 months ago where it had oil plugs and filter (so say),since then its been stood. Have priced service parts up and going have a closer look tomorrow to see exactly whats needed before ordering. Have been out on the bike today and its really opened up, tank of 99RON and a shot of red-x are working thier magic.

Only problem now is a few flats spots in the re range (fingers crossed the service items will sort them out) and the plastics need taking back, respraying, and some new mounts fiberglassed, new tyres, and she should see me the winter out!!

Dont know what you means about air laws in california tho?? guessng that wont affect my bike as I'm on the other side of the world