General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike Fails to get into first gear properly

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 04:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike Fails to get into first gear properly

Hey guys,

I'm having an issue with a CBR F3 '95, was wondering if you could help.

Basically,

When I start to go into first gear my bike will go to extremely low rpm's and almost stall. Finally, one day it stalled out when trying to pull out into an intersection, and when I put it back into neutral, and it wouldn't start.

It would not turn over, I pushed the starter and nothing. So I had to push it to the side with a bunch of cranky people behind me

When my bike was running it felt like it was lacking power when accelerating.

I'm guessing its an electrical problem? The rpm meter does not work properly either, it stays off then randomly spike and randomly works for a minute or two.

Maybe the spark plugs need replacing?

I can't really adjust the idle because because the rpm meter doesn't work, I don't know what I'm at.

Sorry for the long post, just trying to give as many details as possible.

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-26-2011, 04:56 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The guage thing may be the guage. I'm in the process of doing a guage swap for those same symptoms. However, due to the way I'm mounting them, I haven't had the bike out enough to test the new tach response.

The power loss is a bit trickier. Was it really hot that day? If you have a marginal
Regulator/Rectifier it might be causing the problem. (The R/R is a poorly engineered
part in the whole series.) I have been having a similar issue, replaced the R/R, but (due to the guages) haven't been able to verify it as a fix.

I'll get back on that, hopefully this weekend.

As far as the idle...if the bike is warmed up, adjust it till it almost stumbles. Add just
a smidge more rpm, should stay steady there. Use your ear, you know what it should sound like. A slow, steady rumble. If you can't achieve that type of idle, then you
should start examining the carbs, timing, fuel filter/pump, et.

Hope this gives you a few ideas, Ern

Old 07-26-2011, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea it was extremely hot out when I had my troubles.

The heat wave that hit the Midwest, I got the best of it, 90 degrees plus 100% humidity it was 102 on the humisery scale

As for the idle, I could idle it fine just by ear, but regardless, the main issue is that my bike's electricity seemed to be cut off when i tried to accelerate into first gear, and it stalled out and I couldn't restart it.