How to properly care for bike appearance

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 06:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to properly care for bike appearance

After many years of struggling to keep a 94 F2 on the road, I was blessed enough to become the proud owner of a brand new 2007 white 600RR.

Now that I have it, I was wondering if y'all could steer me in the right direction with some tips about how to properly care for the exterior of the bike. The manual recommends using dish washing detergent for washing, but gives no other details.

Any wise advice would be greatly appreciated. Being as poor as I am, I have to make this thing last for many years. I would like for it to look as sharp for as long as it can. Thanks very much.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:48 PM
Default RE: How to properly care for bike appearance

honda polish (in an aerosol can) and a microfiber cloth (i got 12 at target for $6.50, work just fine)

Old 05-29-2008, 06:50 PM

I would use any car wash with no wax since you should wax it yourself by hand. takes like 10 minutes to wax your bike. just wash her up and then use honda polish or turtle wax ice polish (friend uses, i have it but havent used it yet). Then for the chain since it gets dirty use kerosene because it works like a champ. you can even use it to remove grease from your rear tire. my pipe was dirty and the kerosenetook it off no problem. hope that helps.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:52 PM

The painted plastics are finished using two part catalyzed paints. Yep, the same exact kind used on automobiles. For all painted surfaces, treat them the same you would treat a fine automobile finish. Clean using automotive specific soaps, dry with cotton towels, and apply light coats of a good carnuba based wax to protect and seal.

Mirrors are glass, so use basic glass cleaner.

Windshields are clear plastic lexan usually, so use nothing but products meant to clean them, such as Plexus. Glass cleaners (anything with solvents or ammonia) can damage clear plastic/lexan, so be SURE you know if the product is plastic safe.

Bare black plastics should be judiciously cleaned; if you use it for ANY kind of input, hold on, or contact with your body, DO NOT apply anything to it. Anything else like plastic trim can be armor all'ed to prevent drying out. If in doubt, do not Armor All, as it will create a slick surface which can be very unhealthy for you and the bike at the most inopportune moment. If you're leery about even using Amor All, you can use a more gentle cleanser like Meguiars Quik Detailer or such. This will cleanse the plastic and put a VERY light coat of dissolved wax on it, but not really affect the friction of the surface.

That pretty much covers everything. =)

E.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:17 PM

yeah, that cotton cloth is going to leave little fine marks when you dry...

i have a black bike, trust me on this one...

Old 05-29-2008, 10:37 PM

I us Plexus Cleaner. It make the pearl white on my RR shine like no other cleaner. Its the ****

Old 05-29-2008, 11:09 PM

I use Plexus for quick cleaning. It works really well. For a Super shine after cleaning, use Pledge, (Yes, the furniture polish). Unbelievable shine.
ORIGINAL: willcbr600rr

I us Plexus Cleaner. It make the pearl white on my RR shine like no other cleaner. Its the ****

Old 05-30-2008, 01:47 AM

I use honda polish in a can- spray it on, gently wipe it around, wait and then buff with a microfiber cloth. It is the best and longest lasting shine I have seen.

I also use pledge from time to time. Mainly when I am in a hurry. Spray on and wipe off. the only down side is that it seems to collect dust alot quicker than honda polish

I used Plexus. Good stuff, but I like the Honda stuff just a little bit better. It is cheaper, smells better and the shine is equal ,if not better than, Plexus. Well, IMO anyway.

Sometimes I will spray WD40 onto a rag to clean metal parts (frame, rims, etc) Makes a nice shine. But Honda polish is the best on the rims too.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:13 AM

I have the 07 white RR also, when I had my F3 I founda bike wash at the hardware store that worked great. It is a wipe on wipe off wash. You can use it on plastics, speedscreens, rims, everything. I love it. I bought an expensive wash at a bike shop, and i didnt think it did as good of a job, plus it left water spots. The wash is made by a company called Kit, the product is called Bike Clean, it comes in a gold spray bottle. I havent been able to find it at a store since that first bottle, but I went to amazon.com and found it there for 4.50 a bottle, cheaper than what i paid for it.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:26 PM

First, go get your self an Absorber drying shamois.Place it on the seat.Rinse the bike.I use Meguires crystal wash.Put a little bit of soap on the wash bonnet as well as in your wash bucket.ALWAYS rinse out the bucket you are going to use!Wash from top to bottom.You can do your wheels first but you should rinse the bucket out when you are done.
After you wash and rinse take the Absorber and PAT the bike dry.Then wax your painted plastics.I use Wizards shine master.http://wizardsproducts.com/Merchant2...Category_Code=
THis is the BEST wax I have ever used!!!It is safe for decals and it doesnt leave a dusty residue.It is also water soluble!!!
I use chain wax for lube.
Hope this helps!

Quick Reply: How to properly care for bike appearance