General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bike died today in 1st?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 08:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bike died today in 1st?

so i been workin on my bike. its all torn down but the tail faring. i have all the wires taped up in the low triple so they dont hang in the wheel. its been cold here in MI lately so obviously motors are going to run a little rougher off the start. but my concern here is i was out giving it a test run down my street after wheel align and chain adjust and i felt as if it were warmed up a bit but it did have a slightly different town, more low and boggy. when i would hammer it it sounded really low, it was still pulling hard but it sounded like it had 300lbs on it trying to go. anyway my run back i was in 1st wide open when about 3/4 way through the RPM range and it just died out. i pulled in the clutch and coasted to my drive way where i turned off key/fuel injection and restarted it.

anyone have an idea what happend? never done this to me before so im sure its just something with weather, but the snorkel on the right side is off when i did tank work? would that make a difference?

i thought it was just to collect air from the front of the bike sense the headlight and fairing would not allow it near the gas tank?

Old 10-07-2009, 05:11 PM

alright im bringing this thread back, i never really got a reply.

it happened again today so i need to figure it out. let me explain the situation deeper.

same thing happened, i ran it all day long so i know damn well it was warm. i wasn't rippin on it all day so im not sure if its something random or only when i push it to the peak. my RPM's dont work. the whole gauge cluster and speed work exept for the RPM needle. i know what the red line sounds like and im guessing i was maybe an 1 RPM away when it shut off.

i was riding and i just ducted over the tank and let it go. when i shifted i heard it bog like any machine that is shut off at full revs. i was coasting in 2nd gear before i realized it was dead. i pulled in the clutch reset the key and fuel injection and it fired right up and i continued the ride. im just really confused why it would kill it only when its towards the max revs?

Old 10-07-2009, 06:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Was the throttle wide open?

Old 10-07-2009, 06:50 PM

Help us help you... what model and year bike are we trying to figure out? What work are you doing to it? Was there a problem before you started?

Old 10-11-2009, 11:40 PM

sorry guys. i totally forgot those details haha,

its a 2001 F4i. 11k miles. it ran flawless the entire time until i dropped it over a few weeks ago at about 10mph on the right side. it started right up after and ran good. i have had it in my garage working on it here and there. only thing was fairings and right rear set peg. as long as i was working on it i changed the oil. everything was fine until it was ready to ride again. i have no fairings on but the tail and the wiring duct taped in the front fairing stay along with the tip over sensor. i also cut 5" off the pipe but the inside middle between the packing doesnt line up perfectly, its a little off.

so yeh it runs fine all day but when i open it up ( full throttle wide open ) it dies just a second away from redline. i have to turn off key and fuel injection and turn it all on again to start the bike. which actually makes me think now because thats how it was when i droped it. i had to shut everything off and reset it before it would start again.

i havent tried this in 2nd gear but if you can think of why it would happen i would appreciate the input. bike is still torn down in the garage so its a good time to find out lol.