General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help, Bike died on the road today.....FIXED

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 01:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, Bike died on the road today.....FIXED

Ok,
I am getting so sick of this damn bike. My 95 CBR900RR is giving me nothing but problems. The ignition switch went out on it and I finally got that replaced this past weekend. I let the bike run for abit and things were great. I noticed that the engine temp switch wasn't working now for some reason. I figured when I was messing with the harness, something came loose. The fan still came on at operating temp. So that just tells me, something came loose behind the dash or there is a loose connection. Other then that things are fine. I figured since the fan still worked, I could live without the gauge. I took it for a short ride around the neigborhood and things were great. No problems.

Well I wake up today and it's a great day outside, so I decided to ride the bike to work. I fire it up and let it warm up for about 15 minutes. Check the tires and the back one is flat and the front is low, so I fill them up. I leave the house and things are great. I decide to take atlantic blvd to downtown. About 5 miles from home, the bike starts acting real wierd. It's great at low rpm's, but as soon as I hit 5000 or 6000 rpm's it starts bucking and hesitating bad. Like really bad. I go alittle further and figure, i'm half way to work, so i'll go ahead and ride it there. I'm thinking it may be bad gas from sitting for a few weeks, so i'll stop off at the parts store and get some octane boost or something. Well about a mile or two up from there, I shift from 1st to 2nd and the bike dies. Just totally dies. I'm like what now. So I pull off the side of the road. Nothing seems to be wrong. The bike isn't overheating, no leaks or anything. It's just dead. Well he bike starts in neutral. But as soon as I put it in gear, it dies. Every time. I have no clue whats going on now. I'm so pi$$ed. Any ideas now. Becides selling it or taking a torch to it This is crap. Luckily I broke down across the street from my friend Aaron's shop. So I call him and he walks over. We push it over to his shop and I was able to call a friend and have him come get me. So i'm at a loss. I have no clue at all. Any ideas anyone can think of? Thanks.

Old 01-04-2005, 03:47 PM
Default RE: Help, Bike died on the road today!!!!!!

"Well the bike starts in neutral. But as soon as I put it in gear, it dies. "

I would look at that as my first clue. Look for the simple stuff first. Could the cut-out switch from the sidestand have come unplugged or just have a bad connection?

Sounds like a bad connection somewhere. Perhaps the guage cluster isn't plugged in all the way, or...? I can't remember which bike it is, but I'm thinking Honda's won't run without the guage cluster plugged in. I think. I'd search the harness and clean and tighten every connection.

Old 01-04-2005, 05:33 PM

I thought along those same lines. However I think the hesitation & bucking is related to the bike dying. I was riding at about 40 miles an hour and shifted. It bogged and hesitated really bad, then died. It will start fine in neutral, but thats it. It didn't act up at all this weekend or for about the first 20 minutes I was riding. It is possibable that something was loose and maybe came all the way loose. I'm not sure. I need to get it back to the house and look at it.

Old 01-04-2005, 08:00 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry Neon -- perhaps lighting it on fire would help.

If you start it in neutral then shift to first does it die immediately or does it die as you try to apply power to the wheel? If it dies the second you shift into first then it's probably the sidestand switch. If it dies as you are releasing the clutch and giving it gas it could have jumped timing. The stumbling at higher rpms is a classic symptom as well as way down on power. Since you've been battling electrical gremlins you might also look at the rectifier.

Other than that I'd just go over the bike and check simple stuff like making sure the plugs are tight and basic things.

Then I'd pour gas on it and light it on fire.

Old 01-04-2005, 08:33 PM

As it turns out a friend of mine had a 900RR and has a left over side stand switch. We are going to replace it tonight and see what happens. It idles and rev's fine when sitting still and the bike in neutral. As soon as I put it in gear, even with the clutch in, it dies. Someone told me the stuttering could be the switch on the way out. If there was a bad contact or loose connection, the vibrations of the bike could have been making it act up till it finally went out. That kind of makes sence. I'll find out tonight and see whats up. Wish me luck.

Next process of the troubleshooting will be a plasma cutter [8D]

Old 01-06-2005, 12:15 PM

Ok, let me step away from the plasma cutter. Score one for Chain & Chuck. It was the sidestand safety switch. It is apperantly bad. We bypassed it last night and the bike fires up and runs great. No hesitation at all, no bogging down, and it runs fine in gear. I rode it back to the house last night. We used a paperclip and zipties to bypass the switch. My best guess is that the switch was going bad, and due to vibrations around 5k rpm's it was grounding out or making an open circut that was making the bike think the sidestand was down. I'm going to order a new switch and lets hope thats the last of the problems with the bike for awhile. Thanks again everyone.

Old 01-06-2005, 12:18 PM

Whew! I got lucky and guessed right! Glad it was simple.
While you have it apart to replace the switch, why not double check the rest of the connections? An ounce of prevention, etc...

Old 01-06-2005, 08:41 PM

glad to hear it back up.

Nipz~

Old 01-10-2005, 11:00 PM

SIDE STAND SWITCH??? YOU DON"T NEED NO FREEKING SIDESTAND SWITCH!!!!!!!! Just kiddin! Glad you found prob.