General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

messed with handlebars, now my throttle STICKS.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 10:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default messed with handlebars, now my throttle STICKS.

my throttle doesnt 'snap' back like it did before i messed with the handlebars. It sticks. how do i adjust this? Thanks

Old 10-08-2009, 10:33 PM

it all depends on what you did by adjusting the handle bars. If you removed the bars, it could be a routing issue. the cables need to follow a pretty specific route, if they are bent too much, the cable inside will not freely and the return spring will not be able to return the throttle.

but, most of the time, the throttle grip gets pushed too tight against the kill switch housing. Loosen the housing and slide it away from the grip a little and see if that helps.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check that you didn't kink the throttle cables or pinch them between something. A hard kink can cause that.

Dunno what type of bike you have so can't really go further than that

Old 10-08-2009, 11:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a helpful hint from alot of experience.

Dont mess with it till its broke or almost broke. lol

Old 10-09-2009, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by justasquid
it all depends on what you did by adjusting the handle bars. If you removed the bars, it could be a routing issue. the cables need to follow a pretty specific route, if they are bent too much, the cable inside will not freely and the return spring will not be able to return the throttle.

but, most of the time, the throttle grip gets pushed too tight against the kill switch housing. Loosen the housing and slide it away from the grip a little and see if that helps.
I just bought the bike, and it had aftermarket bars for long distance riding. I had to swap them out for stock ones to pass inspection.

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Check that you didn't kink the throttle cables or pinch them between something. A hard kink can cause that.

Dunno what type of bike you have so can't really go further than that
01' F4i

Originally Posted by CBRfenatic93
Just a helpful hint from alot of experience.

Dont mess with it till its broke or almost broke. lol
thanks but all i did was swap out aftermarket bars for stock ones. I didnt think it would screw up any stock settings on the throttle. but maybe i tweaked a cable or something. ill check

thanks all

Old 10-09-2009, 09:37 AM

how do i know if its a routing issue? is there a diagram online somewhere i could look at for reference?

Old 10-10-2009, 04:08 PM

Im not sure of a routing diagram. But take a close look at the routing, if it looks like the cable is making tight bends, and there is a route that will lessen the bend, move the cables. Just be sure if you do, rotate your handle bars fully side to side and make sure the cables dont get pinched or over extended.

Did you try to loosen the killswitch housing?

Did you swap the grips to the new clip ons?

Old 10-10-2009, 06:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes if you tighten the bar ends too much it will grab the throttle tube and not let it return easily

Old 10-10-2009, 06:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the rubber on the bar end weight... that'll make it stick for sure. Often happens when bike are trailered improperly.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:57 AM

Im not sure of a routing diagram. But take a close look at the routing, if it looks like the cable is making tight bends, and there is a route that will lessen the bend, move the cables. Just be sure if you do, rotate your handle bars fully side to side and make sure the cables dont get pinched or over extended.

Did you try to loosen the killswitch housing?

Did you swap the grips to the new clip ons?
i did try loosening it. Even real loose it still sticks

its the factory grips on the factory clip ons.

What cables are you talking about...the 2 metal ones coming from the throttle?

Originally Posted by letsride
Sometimes if you tighten the bar ends too much it will grab the throttle tube and not let it return easily
bar ends? meaning the weight piece on the end of the bar?
Originally Posted by woot
Is the rubber on the bar end weight... that'll make it stick for sure. Often happens when bike are trailered improperly.
i dont even have those on the end of the grips. i need to buy some

Quick Reply: messed with handlebars, now my throttle STICKS.