General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best tool for the cost to sync carbs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 01:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For now though even if I want the tool the fastest way to do it is to buy some bottles! I wanna try and do it this week and ordering a tool will take some time especially cause the Carb tune cones from like Europe I believe it is. So ill try the homemade route just so I can do it soon!

Old 04-08-2012, 03:31 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's my choice, it's called the Harmonizer. Did the research and found this. It's electronic and works great.
It also functions as a rpm meter (off of the vacume pulse, so is extremely accurate).
It only syncs between two carbs, so I added the manifold to easily switch between the 3 you adjust.

As far as the cost, if you put the miles on your bike, you'll be ahead the second time you do the job.
The tools will cost you a little less than what a decent shop charges to do it.
So the first time is break-even. After that, it's just what you think your times worth.

You'll need a vacume sync guage, a RPM guage that is (at least) accurate to +/- 50rpm
and a right angle adjuster to reach the main pilots (unless you have teeny-weenie hands
that are very heat-resistant) and a "d" adapter for the pilot screws.

I've become a fan of Motion Pro tools for the bike specific tasks.
Their stuff is made from quality materials and machining.
You can find them here or do the usual searches for ebay/retail merchants.
Motion Pro - Tools

Good luck, Ern

Old 04-08-2012, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

I purchased mine a few years ago directly from Carbtune.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by MadHattr059
Here's my choice, it's called the Harmonizer. Did the research and found this. It's electronic and works great.
It also functions as a rpm meter (off of the vacume pulse, so is extremely accurate).
It only syncs between two carbs, so I added the manifold to easily switch between the 3 you adjust.

As far as the cost, if you put the miles on your bike, you'll be ahead the second time you do the job.
The tools will cost you a little less than what a decent shop charges to do it.
So the first time is break-even. After that, it's just what you think your times worth.

You'll need a vacume sync guage, a RPM guage that is (at least) accurate to +/- 50rpm
and a right angle adjuster to reach the main pilots (unless you have teeny-weenie hands
that are very heat-resistant) and a "d" adapter for the pilot screws.

I've become a fan of Motion Pro tools for the bike specific tasks.
Their stuff is made from quality materials and machining.
You can find them here or do the usual searches for ebay/retail merchants.
Motion Pro - Tools

Good luck, Ern
I like it! Do they make one for four cylinders? If not where could I get that fancy little adapters you have for switching cylinders? How many things can you actually tune with it? It seems like it does a lot, can you set your air fuel mix?

Old 04-08-2012, 04:14 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The manifold is from an aquarium store. The single, separate hose goes to the master carb. The three hoses off the manifold go to the other three carbs. Turning them on (on at a time), sync each of the three to the master and then go back and final tune them, once or twice. You need to do the fine-tune because adjusting one, WILL affect each of the others, so you repeat until there is no more change.

Ern

Old 04-08-2012, 07:21 PM

Makes sense! I will have to see if I can find one of those manifolds for the tubes.. or I can probably live without it. My bike needs the carbs synced so bad I know theyre off.. Where did you order the harmonizer?

Old 04-08-2012, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

The guy that builds that Harmonizer is in the process of building one for 4 cylinder engines. I'll buy one as soon as it's available. He says in 2 or 3 months. I figure 4 or 5, but probably worth the wait.

You can order it from here.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:18 AM

I think ill wait for the 4 cylinder one. Hopefully he gets it made soon. Ill just use the transmission fluid this time, until that comes out I think