General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best alarm/security device for cbr600rr?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 07:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Best alarm/security device for cbr600rr?

Hey guys,

I've been looking around for some decent motorcycle alarms and security systems but I'm having a hard time finding any good recommendations. There's all kinds of systems being sold on eBay but I don't know which ones are actually reliable, what would you recommend? I was looking at the spy 5000m and a few disc locks that have alarms on them, do any of you have experience with such devices? If I had the money I'd go with a LoJack or GPS tracking device but I just don't have the finances for it right now. I live in an apartment complex without any garages or a locked gate so I would be a prime target around the area. Thanks for any help!

- Gary

Old 12-23-2011, 08:08 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The problem with alarms and motorcycles, bikes are light enough for determined
thieves to just pick up the entire package, load it onto a pickup or trailer and be
gone in seconds. Sometimes low-tech is the best response.

If you have assigned parking, you can secure an eye-ring into the pavement.
That will give you a hardened lock-down point, if not a tree/pole is your best bet.
That provides the best security (imo, at any price).

If you do decide to go with a disc-lock, tie a ribbon/string to it and drape it over the handlebars.
The visual reminder will save you the embarressment/damage of trying to take off without removing it.
This goes for any chain, cable, etc. as well.

Ern

Old 12-23-2011, 09:43 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

the place to keep a bike is in a garage. since you dont have one, get one. find someone that has one and rent a corner or get a storage unit. if you can, find people in your area with the same parking problem as you, and split the cost. years ago, 2 other friends and i had a storage garage that we turned into our workshop and mancave. we kept tools and gear there. we even had an air compressor. we had total respect for each other stuff. it worked out well.

the only other option is to chain it to a pole. how cruel.....

Old 12-23-2011, 10:53 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll have to depend on layers of security to dissuade a thief. But if he's determined, your bike is gone no matter where it is. Including your garage (rojerlockless' custom f4i got stolen out of a garage iirc)

Best alarm is a Scorpio alarm. You generally want an alarm that does both audible and visual alert, ignition disable and battery backup. Battery backup is important in case they cut the power to the alarm. And most alarms with a battery backup will also detect the cut and sound. The Cyclone 866f I have in my sig is a good, lower cost, alternative to a Scorpio. All the same features except microwave perimeter alarm and 2 way capability. The Spy 5000m is merely 'OK. Its a pita to wire up, no battery backup and has a pretty high vampiric battery drain. I have a Spy in my f4i and it'll run the battery dead in a week or less. My Cyclone would kill the battery in about 3 weeks.

On top of an alarm you'll want a visible, mechanical deterrant as well. A chain around a stationary object and the frame is best. A good chain will make the thief bring tools not easily concealed. And remaining inconspicuous is a priority for MOST thieves. A disc lock works against a solitary thief intent on riding your bike off. But two guys can easily pickup a bike with a disc lock.

The idea behind bike security is to make your bike less appealing to the average thief than the one around the corner (or even parked next to you). A visible mechanical deterrant makes the thief account for removing or bypassing it. An alarm screaming makes them sacrifice being inconspicuous. Rather than go thru all that the average "pop the lock and ride" thief will walk to the next bike in line. But again, these are only detterants against novices and average thieves.

Pros and determined thieves WILL have your bike. And the only safeguard you have against that is Comprehensive Insurance

Old 12-23-2011, 03:46 PM
Nov 2011 ROTM

If your on a budget I'd look into a basic two way paging system. Comes with a little pager and alerts you directly when the alarm goes off. Assuming the bike is kept within a reasonable distance from you, where you can get to it in a reasonable amount of time, thats you best bet IMO.

There are cell phone units (call your phone) but they run up there with Lo-Jack and other GPS units price wise.

Alarms only work if YOU hear it, no one else cares if they go off and if they have enough time interrupted , the bikes gone anyway. Seems like you never can hear your own alarm siren go off so the pager is your best bet.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:36 PM
Cool

If you live in an apartment, park it right next to your window, and put an alarm(you will have to maintain charge to battery) and put wheel lock. I knew guys who would take bikes; they see the blinking light and next to window, they wont touch it. Your only full proof is insurance, unfortunately. If my life depended on getting your bike, like in gone in sixty seconds, I would have it. The notorious MCs will befriend you, get you drunk, and take your keys, easy as that, so beware of who you hang with.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:18 PM
Smile

Getting the right alarm for our motorcycle is time consuming and quite tedious. My search is still going on. Rightnow I have planned to buy alarm system for my favourite motor vehicle from Protection Plus security solutions (Alarm System Packages Toronto | Protection Plus) But don’t know how far it will work. Since you are also in the look out for alarms, try your luck. If you find a better solution do suggest one because I won’t jump into one soon.