Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

strange device in my car

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 05:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strange device in my car

i found this in my car while digging around to try to install an amp and sub

it looks sorta like an amp...but i can find any sort of brand name, or other info i would need to use it...i know that the japanese version of my car came with a built in navigation system that would have gone where this device is

its got a bunch of wires running in and out of it...some i can clearly figure out(hot, ground, and signal)...but its also got those 4 yellow and one blue wire which i dont know what they do

any ideas?

Old 07-18-2007, 05:09 PM
Default RE: strange device in my car

That is an older rockford fosgate amplifier. The black wire is going to be a ground, red is power, the yellows are your positive and negative that run to the subs themselves and the blue wire is your remote wire that needs to be attached to the back of your deck. I had one in my car awhile back, great amps.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:38 PM

yup... RF amp for speakers... try it out, maybe you can take yours back and get your money !!

Old 07-18-2007, 05:41 PM

aww too bad it wasnt stuffed full of cociane or a bag of money.. you got my hopes up

Old 07-18-2007, 05:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok, so you are hooking up your stereo, you find a rockford amp under your seat, and you dont know what all those wires do....not to be an *******, but something tells me someone else should be hooking up your stereo for you.

triax summed it up, but just in case....

yellow = speaker wire, (1) +, (1) - for each.
blue = remote, goes to receiver (the cd player) and that is what turns on your amp when your cd player comes on.
red = amp hot, comes from car battery
black = amp ground, grounds on cars chassis somewhere. scratch off the paint under the screw you choose to hook it to.

BTW, i like my pioneer premier 750W

Old 07-18-2007, 05:56 PM

ok, so you are hooking up your stereo, you find a rockford amp under your seat, and you dont know what all those wires do....not to be an *******, but something tells me someone else should be hooking up your stereo for you.
that didn't even occur to me!! LOL

Old 07-18-2007, 06:39 PM

i didnt know what the wires were for because i didnt know what it was...i assumed as far as the red and black cable

after posting, i went back and took a look at it, did some destruction, and found out that it was indeed an amp...at which point i knew exactly what each cable did

and i cant bring back my other amp as i have had it for years now, just now getting around to putting it in my new car...besides, ive got a 600w amp, and would rather use it than the 80w one i found

thanks for the help

Old 07-18-2007, 07:38 PM
Retired Moderator

You guys are a bunch of jerks telling him the wrong info! Ikhoudvanu, that device implies you have to blow into the straw to get your car to start everytime you get in it(previous owner must have been a drunk)...don't let anyone else tell you otherwise...[sm=devilgrin.gif]

Old 07-18-2007, 07:52 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

ORIGINAL: rrasco

+1 i was actually looking for something other than the amp. untill it occured to me he meant the old fosgate.....[sm=sigh.gif].. makes me kinda worried when someone who is installing their own system finds and amp and doesnt know what it is just by looking @ it

Old 07-18-2007, 08:05 PM

Old Fosgate amps rock. Those things were bulletproof and pushed tons of watts at at low resistance. I would redo the connections though with some good terminals as that looks like a crappy connection job.

Quick Reply: strange device in my car